Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bought a Jaguar Take down today and had a few questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Unless you have a sight on your Jaguar, you don't really aim a recurve, what you're doing is called instintive shooting, and you'll improve with lots of practice, like that two hour session you put in the other day. Hold and draw the bow to the same anchor point every time, concentrate on the place you want your arrow to hit, and your subconcious mind will take over and let you know when you're on target. As you get further back from the target, you'll find that about 50-55 yds that the point of your arrow will be on the target, that is your point of aim. Once you find that POA, you will begin what is called gap shooting. Lets say your POA is 55 yds, at 50 yds your arrow point will be below the bullseye, say the bottom of the target, at 45 yds, it would be bottom of the bale. For way more threads on instintive/gap shooting, visit a traditional site like Stickbow's Leatherwall, where this subject is always under disscusion. Heres what I came up with just entering instintive and clicking Instintive. Keep up the practice, and you'll be suprized by what you'll remember.

http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/searchaction2.cfm
    Interesting. Today I tried the POA thing (I haven't been "aiming" at all) and found for my 25#r the POA to be at 45yds but I've gained precision but lost accuracy (groups about 1.5' left). Wiht the old style, I'm pretty accurate around center but not quite as tight a group. The question is with the aiming style do I need to aim more to the right or do I adjust my bow setup to shoot dead on? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

If your shooting to the right you may want to try canting the bow a little more to the left?
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z

Post Thanks / Like

Going by your username, I'd guess that your bow is the one on the right on the bow rack. And if it is, since you're using an elevated rest, you'll get some odd results when you try to cant your bow as NN sugested. not to mention that canting a right handed bow to the left tends to drop the arrow off the rest. If you where shooting off the shelf, you'd be shooting from the true center of the bow, and could cant the bow, an elevated rest changes that, and really needs to be shot from a verticle position, you'll have better results by changing your foot position, standing more square to the target, not a whole lot, just a bit. Just keep at it and you'll instintivly move your bow hand enough to comensate for that 1.5" left. It takes practice, practice, practice, sort of like golf, after you hit your pitching wedge 100,000 times, you'll know how far it'll go. Keep it up.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I've really been enjoying my bow! Especially once I got a set of cat whiskers and limb savers. They made an enormous difference in the sound and feel of the bow, its now damn near whisper quiet and smoother feeling. I've been shooting several times a week, basically every morning I have a day off and the money to afford gas to get to the range. My memory is apparently serving me well. Today while practicing a guy who is there fairly regularly said I have nearly perfect form and that my release is the only thing I'm not doing correctly, I'm pulling my hand back and quite far out to the right when I release sending my arrows on occasion off to the left way of target. Working on fixing that and pulling straight back on release. Sadly I had to call it quits early today after losing a limb saver. It just felt to strange with only one and being the overly paranoid person I am wasn't sure what effect if any the lopsided shock absorption would have. But I got a solid one and a half hour session before it went flying off so no big deal, the shop who fitted them for me said if they came off he'd take care of me. I'm also glad I chose this bow over the initial one recommended to me as the weight is definitely not an issue, after warming up a bit I have no problem holding back the string as long as necessary to line up my shots, likely a long time off before I want to go up in weight(definitely want to make sure I've got everything down before I even think about it), but its nice that this one gives me that option.