Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help tuning my 2012 Bengal Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    It looks like you've got your nock point / rest height right on, and that you just need to move your rest to the right. I've gotten to the point that when I paper tune, it's just to get my nock set. Then I go out and do a french tune and/or walk back to dial in in the center shot:

FRENCH TUNE
    • Go out to your target, run a piece of tape vertically top to bottom in the center. Then move to about 3-5 yds from it and fire an arrow at that strip. Move your pins left/or right (follow the arrow so if it hits left of the line, move your sight left).

• When you can hit the tape dead on, move back to 20 yds and fire at it again. This time move your rest away from the arrow (if it hits left of the tape, move your rest right). When you get your arrows hitting the tape, go back to 3 yds and start again.

• Rinse repeat until you don't have to move anything to hit the tape at both 3 yds and at 20.

I like doing that because it sets up your sight to center as well. You can also do a walk back, which i less involved;

WALK BACK
    • Using the same tape setup, fire an arrow at 20 yards at the top of the tape, don't worry about where it hits. Move back to 30 yards, shoot again. Move back to 40 yards, shoot again.

• You will end up with line of arrows close to the tape at the top, further away at the bottom. If the gap is on the left side, move your rest right towards the tape, and vise versa.

• Repeat the process until you get a vertical line of arrows that parallel the tape. Now your center shot is set and you can go to work adjusting your site.

Hope that helps!
    Thank you, this makes definite sense!

Should I be doing this type of tuning with my FPs or with my broadheads?
    Dave
    2012 Bengal Pro, QAD Ultrarest HDX, Trophy Ridge Hitman 5

Post Thanks / Like

Field points, definitely. Until the bow is tuned, your broadheads won't fly with your field points, they'll have different trajectories... unless you're shooting an expandable or something.

I usually don't even fire a broadhead (I shoot fixed blades) until I'm done tuning. Oh, and when doing the tuning I described earlier, just use your 20 yd pin. I just edited my previous post to include that...
    Last edited by wscywabbit; 05-06-2012 at 09:38 PM.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    Field points, definitely. Until the bow is tuned, your broadheads won't fly with your field points, they'll have different trajectories... unless you're shooting an expandable or something.

I usually don't even fire a broadhead (I shoot fixed blades) until I'm done tuning. Oh, and when doing the tuning I described earlier, just use your 20 yd pin. I just edited my previous post to include that...
    I just did the french tune method with FPs & did not take much adjusting to get the centre shot lined up. I did not do the walk back yet as it is quite windy at the moment & haven't been able to get down to the range.

I have attached a pic of my results showing the difference in placement with the different shaft weights.

With the 7595s cut down to 28" & with a FP on are hitting the bag pretty much on vertical @ 3 through to 20 yds

Tried the GT Big Game 100+ and the same results.

Through a NAP 100 grain thunder head on each of those 2 different shafts & look at the results. The FP & the Big Game 100+ with thunderhead is pretty much on the money, the difference in positioning can probably come down to shooter error I'd say.

If you look at where the thunderhead on the 7595 hit it was clearly to the right & down. I have not had a great deal of experience in Archery but from what I have learnt, is this not showing that the 7595's are not stiff enough? The flexing of the shaft on release or "Archers Paradox" as I understand is obviously far greater in the 7595 allowing the broadhead to steer the arrow off course too much to be re corrected by the fletchings once settling down in flight.

Can I then assume that a stiffer arrow is needed despite others saying they are successfully using the 7595s with higher poundage bows??

Its all a bit confusing for a new boy!!
    tuning_target.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

From these results is it safe to assume that my arrows are underspined despite the fact that others are shooting higher poundage bows with the same arrow?

Is there anything else that I could be missing before I go & order myself some stiffer arrows? If I do need stiffer arrows, could I get away with ordering 1/2 doz for my hunting arrows & then just use my 7595s cut down to 28" for practice with FPs as the big game 100+ with the thunderheads were not far off the FP flight? I suppose I should test out to 50-60 yards for confirmation before buying new shafts?

What do you guys think?

Thanks
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Still trying to figure this out?

Post Thanks / Like

An easy way to tell if the BG 100's are underspined (I doubt it) is to turn the bow weight down two turns and try again. Nobody ever reads Easton's Tuning Guide thoroughly. At the bottom of page 7: Release shooters sometimes get opposite results than finger shooters". In other words the 10s's hitting right can be indicative of a shaft that is too stiff. A shaft hitting lower might be because of greater FOC.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    An easy way to tell if the BG 100's are underspined (I doubt it) is to turn the bow weight down two turns and try again. Nobody ever reads Easton's Tuning Guide thoroughly. At the bottom of page 7: Release shooters sometimes get opposite results than finger shooters". In other words the 10s's hitting right can be indicative of a shaft that is too stiff. A shaft hitting lower might be because of greater FOC.
    thanks for the reply. It was never a question if the BG 100's are underspined, they are the arrows that are shooting straight with the broadheads on.

Given that the BG100's are a stiffer arrow than the .340 spine of the 7595, then if we go by what you have said above would you not expect then for the BG100's to be hitting right of centre if they were indeed too stiff? It is the 7595's that are way off to the right & low not the BG100's. The arrows shot in my test used the same nocks & same weight FP & broadhead, the only difference was the shaft lengths & spine weights between the 7595's at 28" to the BG 100 @ 29".

So if we look at the result again:

The .340 spine GT7595 @ 28" long with 100 grain FP hit pretty much bang on where it should have.

The .340 spine GT7595 @ 28" long with 100 grain Broadhead hit low & to the right.

The .280 spine GT Big Game 100+ @ 29" long with 100 grain broadhead hit at correct height & only slightly right (further shots proved its vertical line to match FPs on 7595s)

The logic & arrow selection software suggests that I need stiffer arrows than the GT 7595's. I've only been shooting for a few months so was hoping that someone else with more experience could explain my results otherwise before going out & buying more shafts.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

The key word in that phrase from Easton's Tuning Guide is "sometimes". "Sometimes a release shooter gets opposite results...." I misinterpretted your explanation of what was going on. I agree with you and your software that the 340 (7595) is probably not stiff enough. They may have been OK with a softer cam, but more agressive cams often require that we use stiffer arrows. The software confirms this whereas the GT arrow chart may not. It's kind of one of those things where nothing is written in stone.

Although you confess to bein fairly new I can tell from your info and the way you are conveying it here that you have a pretty decent understanding of things. I've only been at this for 40 years and still learning new stuff as the sport and equipment evolve. In saying that I apologize if I confused you.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Default many thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    The key word in that phrase from Easton's Tuning Guide is "sometimes". "Sometimes a release shooter gets opposite results...." I misinterpretted your explanation of what was going on. I agree with you and your software that the 340 (7595) is probably not stiff enough. They may have been OK with a softer cam, but more agressive cams often require that we use stiffer arrows. The software confirms this whereas the GT arrow chart may not. It's kind of one of those things where nothing is written in stone.

Although you confess to bein fairly new I can tell from your info and the way you are conveying it here that you have a pretty decent understanding of things. I've only been at this for 40 years and still learning new stuff as the sport and equipment evolve. In saying that I apologize if I confused you.
    Hey, no problem for the confusion & many thanks for helping me out.

My next question is do I go for a .300 spine like the GT Velocity XTs or do you think I would be safe going with a .280 like the BG 100s? I haven't had a chance to try the BG 100 from any distance yet to see how much drop there is with an all round heavier arrow?

The reason I have chosen the velocity XT over the kinetic hunter is that the id is the same as the 7595's @ .246", this means all my lumenoks, spare nocks & inserts are not going to waste.

Given you have a lot more experience than me, what would you suggest & your thoughts on arrow model selection be? I want these arrows for hunting, the biggest game animal we have locally is the red deer so red deer, fallow deer, goats & wild pigs would be the main targets.

Thanks
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I'm shooting GT Velocity 300s at 28" Carbon 2 Carbon out of my Bengal at 65# with great results. Changed to these shafts for my Alien X and happened to start shooting them out of the Bengal at the same time, much better than the 5575s I was shooting prior.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff