Thread: The balance of Martin Bows

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default The balance of Martin Bows

How do martin bows compare balance and ability to hold when compared to say Hoyts....been shooting my slayer extreme for awhile now but can never seem to get 100% comfortable with holding the thing on the target..I have long stabs on it with some weight, but too much weight makes things worse for me...Held a couple Hoyts with stabs on them and they just feel light weight and perfectly balanced before even drawing it back.....Just wondering if the design of Hoyt risers are just so much better and thats why everyone shoots them....love my Martin, but just wondering if I would shoot better with a Hoyt...hate to spend all that money to get a bow that doesnt really feel any different to me. anyone with both brands have an opinion?

Post Thanks / Like

been doing some research on riser design and found out the slayer has a reflex riser and short brace height, makeing it more prone to torque.....going to test it with weigh on the side rod and nothing on the front to make it balance before drawing to see how it holds.......anyone think going from 46 ponds to 50 pounds would make this bow hold better?

Post Thanks / Like

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're shooting a 2004 SlayR, right? If so, that bow is heavy to begin with, 4.69lbs, bare bow. My 2006 Slayers are a differnt design, but also heavy, 4.5 lbs, but balance well with a short S Coil stabilizer on them, and not at all with a quiver mounted. I don't think that you'd notice any difference in balance changing the draw weight.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

no, I have a 2007 model slayer with nitrous C cams and mini mods and it weighs 4.5 according to Martin...Notices that all the current Hoyts are the same weight...i agree that it does feel heavy compared to the hoyts....guessing a reflex riser makes a bow "feel " heavy

Post Thanks / Like

Default I know older post

First of all - I only shoot the shoot through Martins. But I have an interesting thing I found out about them. Since these bows do not use a cable rod and guide, there is a little more twisting in the hand at full draw. That is, with a bow like your old Hoyt, since it has a cable guard, the torque from it that you can't escape from actually helps you hold a little "steadier" at full draw. The Martin shoot through does not have this "bow torque" introduced hence it feels like it wants to twist a little more in your grip UNTIL you remember to have proper grip and form and then they are a x pounding machine. The Slayr's, or Slayers which are my favorite, actually have a different grip angle than like a Scepter and again require a little more concentration to shoot good. But with approx. 40-50 fps it is worth it to me unless I am shooting 20 yard spot or Vegas style. To me - getting all the torque out of the limbs, then riser, and ultimately your hand is worth more than a "little" more stability at the initial line up on the shot. JMHO. JIM

Post Thanks / Like

Default add on since brain still rambling

Also- A lot of serious Martin shooters (shoot through) end up without realizing the reason liking the 65% let-off modules instead of the 75% normal modules account they hold steadier at full draw without increasing total draw weight. They also like a short "valley" so that you keep the bow at the "wall" as that is one of the best attributes of the shoot through is the firm wall with a little give. Stops you from creeping forward. Similar to what the Hoyt Spirals feel like. Some that have never shot a bow rigged like that are not used to virtually no valley and non-creeping and find it uncomfortable. But it forces you into good form. All is well in the 2004-2008 Martin land.......
    Last edited by mxtuner1; 07-09-2013 at 01:00 AM. Reason: and beating this old post to death