Thread: Refinishing a "yellowed" bow

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Refinishing a "yellowed" bow

Found an older Ventura locally that although is lacking scratches or other signs of abuse has yellowed significantly. It has a nice grain pattern which attracts me but it's limbs are a not too attractive yellow. (The finish on the riser is spiderwebbed too.) Can I Minwax Furniture Refinisher off the old finish then just apply a simple oil finish (e.g. the Birchwood & Casey gunstock tru oil in another thread) or are bows a completely different animal when it comes to refinishing?

Post Thanks / Like

hey califx200...I refinished a 1973 Damon Howatt Ventura last summer. I had the same issues as you are speaking of concerning the "yellowing" white Gordon glass. Once sanded and ready for refinishing, your Gordon glass should be a nice white finish. I too used the Birchwood & Casey trugun stock oil, but this caused the white glass to yellow. I found a lot of help on StickBow.com, including the man responsible for building my bow back in 1973, Larry Hatfield himself. Since this was my first bow refinishing, a lot of what I learned was by trial and error. I ended up using the trugun stock oil on my wood(riser and tips) and a MiniWax Spar spray urethane on the limbs. This method seemed to produce the most desirable results. Here's a link to the thread I started when I was refinishing my Ventura, maybe it'll be of some help.

http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw...ory=88#3064817

...and here's a picture of my '73 DH Ventura...I use it for form practice...it's 66" and 25# at 28"...a REAL SMOOTH shooter!
    DSC01227.JPG
    ...like I said, I've done one bow refinish, so by no means am I even an intermediate "restorer", but if I can toss any info your way, drop me a PM and enjoy your refinishing...you'll really appreciate your bow!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2012 Martin Scepter V 60#
    2012 Hoyt Carbon Matrix RKT 60#
    2008 Martin Bamboo Viper 45# @ 28" AMO 64"
    1973 Damon Howatt Ventura 66" AMO 25#

Post Thanks / Like

...here's another thread I started on stickbow...where the guy who built the bow I have back in 1973, Larry Hatfield, he's head of Martin Archery's traditional bows now and holds a few world records for distance, gave me a few pointers on refinishing my bow...there's also photos of before and after.
    http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw...ory=88#3045387
    2012 Martin Scepter V 60#
    2012 Hoyt Carbon Matrix RKT 60#
    2008 Martin Bamboo Viper 45# @ 28" AMO 64"
    1973 Damon Howatt Ventura 66" AMO 25#

Post Thanks / Like

wut4dude - don't be modest. that looks like a great job. info exactly what i was looking for thanks.

edit - you've definitely got patience! lots O sanding. i'm going to pass on the bow. again, sweet job on yours.
    Last edited by califx200; 02-29-2012 at 01:11 PM.