Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nitro cam updated for 2012?

Post Thanks / Like

Martin is now more than 60 years old company that has been making also compound bows for tens of years. I find it somehow disturbing that the production models now include this kind of simple and downright stupid flaw that is eating the cables if not fixed (depending on tolerances in manufacturing, but clearly the whole issue could be avoided altogether). In comparison, I had a closer look at the draw length modules of my 2003 Martin Phantom II bow: both inner edges of the module groove are round, not square and sharp as is the case in Nitro cam module's inner wall. It just does not make any sense to me. They clearly know how to make such a simple thing right, so why on earth they don't do it right in their 60th anniversary models such as the Onza 3 bow?

If this is a cost issue, it certainly is saving in a wrong place. Great bows otherwise, why ruin it with such a minor detail done wrong? And because the same cams are used in several models, also the issue must be spread over a great portion of the entire lineup. I would expect to see the same thing with Rytera Hybrix cams as they are basically the same cam, aren't they? This kind of helps me with my irrational desire of purchasing a Rytera Nemesis to my "collection"

Don't get me wrong. I like my Onza 3 enough to replace my Hoyt with it. I fixed the issue by making the edges round with a file as explained above in a previous post. But somehow, for some reason, I feel sympathy for this company and I would hope it to succeed even better in the future. Therefore it makes me sad that with all the potential and value for money with these bows there seems to be insufficient attention to detail. Things being like this, I cannot really full-heartedly recommend Martin bows to others, as much as I like mine.

That being said, there are issues to be improved with other manufacturers, too. For example, it is a common issue with Hoyt bows to make some noise from the limb pockets when drawn. I have experienced that too with my CRX 32 (although you can usually get rid of that by just ajusting the draw length bolts back and forth a few times. For a permanent fix, you may need to disassemble the bow and add lithium grease to limb pockets). Does not really give an impression of quality in a hunting bow that should be as quiet as possible. I also feel that the draw cycle of the CRX is poorly designed: transition to let-off is abrupt and the valley too short. I believe the new RKT cams have not made any significant improvement (by comparing the draw cycle curves, they are very identical). Martin's Nitro cams are much better but the modules need a simple fix. This should be done by the factory, not by bow owners. This is the way to improve trust of the customers and helps in building a good quality reputation.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

Phantonza, I do have to agree with your last post. A company that has been around this long has certainly
    been around the block" and should be aware of this design.machining flaw. It just can't be that much more expensive to machine a radius to those inner cam edges. Hopefully by posting such things here and notifying the warranty dept this will get passed along to "the powers that be" and corrected at some time. Sure, some of us know how and can correct it with a file or fine grit sandpaper, but most people don't and these are the ones who will pass along the problem to others. And I agree that customers should not have to finish the machining process in their homes. It can't do anything but hurt sales and reputation.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Phantonza, I do have to agree with your last post. A company that has been around this long has certainly
    been around the block" and should be aware of this design.machining flaw. It just can't be that much more expensive to machine a radius to those inner cam edges. Hopefully by posting such things here and notifying the warranty dept this will get passed along to "the powers that be" and corrected at some time. Sure, some of us know how and can correct it with a file or fine grit sandpaper, but most people don't and these are the ones who will pass along the problem to others. And I agree that customers should not have to finish the machining process in their homes. It can't do anything but hurt sales and reputation.
    You are 100% right BFisher there are alot of people who only know the basics when it comes down to working on there bows so if it is not simple those people cant fix issues like this one and that leads to people bad mouthing a product! I hope Martin can fix this problem because they do make great bows.
    2013 Martin Onza XT
    NAP Apache Rest
    Trophy Ridge 3pin Cypher Sight
    NAP Apache Stabilizer
    Kwikee Kwik 3 Kwiver
    Truball stinger release
    CX Heart Attack 350
    100g Rocket Hammerheads

Bow String Depot

60% of the time it works every time!

WWW.shorewindshuntingfarm.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    This is so true, my dealer is a very good friend of mine and over the years Martins bows have dewindled from his racks. This year I spoke with him about why........he told me that he just got tired of trying to keep srtings and cables on their bows. Needless to say it was very hard when I called him about my new Pantera eating the serving off my shooting string. None the less I think I have breathed new life into his shop and the area I live in by taking my bows to shoots, doing well and showing them to people..........most people think that there are only 3 companies that make bows! I too hope that what gets posted here gets looked at .........people want these bows , and when they pick them up to shoot them they expect them to work,no little problems that they have to take care of at home!
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35