Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nitro cam updated for 2012?

Post Thanks / Like

what were the reasons given for banning bow hunting in those countries ? just courious !
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bowgramp59 View Post
    what were the reasons given for banning bow hunting in those countries ? just courious !
    Basically it has never been allowed in modern times in those contries, I believe. The renaissance of bowhunting has just never quite reached those countries and the laws do not take bows into account as hunting weapons. However, there is European Bowhunting Federation (http://www.europeanbowhunting.org/) that is promoting bowhunting in various European countries.

For example our neighbours Sweden and Norway do not permit bowhunting.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

thanks, very interesting. i presume the black grouse eat good, American pheasant although not native to florida, is our top game bird for table fare i presume. bobwhite quail are also good, very common in southeastern USA and good sport. how do the roe deer serve for table fare? whitetail is very good varying in size quite a bit from region to region , mule deer i hear aren't as tasty, and elk eat great and are huge. as far as eating wild boar, no thanks , the preferred method in the south is = fatten for slaughter, then BBQ on live oak. mmm may have to run by a roadside BBQ shack tomorrow for lunch.
    how far is it to the southern whitetail habitat from where you are located? it is often hard to find hunting access close (under 75 miles) to home in many states. hope you get to archery hunt for them whitetails some day, it is great sport. dont be to patient tho if you have to go get one with a rifle, that works too.

Post Thanks / Like

Concerning the difference in wall thickness - contact Martin. I had a similar issue, but more pronounced. Their QC sometimes has some to be desired, but they don't bat an eye to make it right. They sent my local shop a full set of cams and a new string without ANY hesitation. Problem was resolved.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nuker View Post
    Concerning the difference in wall thickness - contact Martin. I had a similar issue, but more pronounced. Their QC sometimes has some to be desired, but they don't bat an eye to make it right. They sent my local shop a full set of cams and a new string without ANY hesitation. Problem was resolved.
    Thank you Nuker for sharing this information! I will certainly contact Martin to make it right.

I am very excited about the bow despite this issue.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

Quote from myself:
    Another question about the Nitro cams: I have a brand new Onza 3 (2011 model but without the TRG/SOS). I use 29" draw length setting of the rotating modules. I noticed that after some test shooting (tens of arrows), I can already see some wear on the serving of the cables - they are two tiny white spots where the cables go over the seams between the cams and the rotating draw length modules when drawing/shooting the bow. There does not seem to be anything wrong with the finish of the cams or modules, but as you know, there is a dip between the two.

For those that have been using bows with Nitro cams: have you observed this wear? Has it caused any problems such as cable failure or does it hold well in practise? At least I haven't heard of a cable failure.
    . . .
    I studied this issue closer. I found out that the draw length module has a slightly thicker inner side wall compared to the corresponding track in the cam. The cable track in the cam also has a very slight inner "ridge" but its thickness does not quite match to that on the module. This causes the alignment of the cable change slightly at the transit from the cam to the module when drawing the bow - at this point the side wall of the module touches the serving a bit on one side and this is what causes the wear.
    I contacted Martin via my dealer, with full explanation and illustration. The answer was that this is normal wear.

I find this response somewhat dissappointing. I know I can pretty much fix the issue by filing the sharp inner wall edge of the draw length modules to make them round. Pretty simple task. However, I don't feel this is something that a buyer of a brand new bow should do before starting to use the bow. At least it will cause some expenses, unless you happen to have the equipment/materials (file, screw vice, black spray paint to finish the edges) readily at hand. And some work, of course.

I think this detail is a pity in the otherwise well-made bow. I have been doing a comparison test Onza 3 vs. Hoyt CRX 32 for a Finnish bowhunting magazine (to be published later this spring) and otherwise Onza 3 was performing well in comparison. This is clearly the biggest con for the bow (the other is that the bow is heavier than specified).

I am sure the bow has not been designed this way (that is, alignment of tracks in the cams don't quite match to those in the modules). It must be about manufacturing tolerances - also the fact that the wear is more severe in bottom compared to top proves this. In my opinion, those tolerances are not in acceptable level if you can clearly observe wear only after tens of arrows and still classify this as normal.

Below are a couple of pictures of the wear close to the bottom cam. I would be curious the hear experiences from other people with Nitro cams; do you observe similar wear or not.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

i am no pro by any means but that does not look normal to me.call martin and email the photos,i bet they wont say it is normal either.this is a case of a dealer needs to be bi-passed.

Post Thanks / Like

I also have similar wear, but not nearly as pronounced. One thing to watch that these cams have a natural draw stop when they rotate all the way around and the cam lip comes to rest against the cables... If your draw is set too long you can "over rotate" past that point and cause stress on the cables. You may want to see if your draw setup is at or past that point. If it is, going to the next longer draw setting on the mod and then moving the draw stop post to set your draw length might be a better setup for you... for me I gained several fps and I no longer have to worry about wear at that point in my cables.
    Last edited by wscywabbit; 03-20-2012 at 06:46 AM.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    i am no pro by any means but that does not look normal to me.call martin and email the photos,i bet they wont say it is normal either.this is a case of a dealer needs to be bi-passed.
    Yes, Martin got the photos (a larger set) and a thorough explanation given by myself. I know the dealer personally, he is not a problem here.

Martin's (Joel's) opinion still was that this is normal wear.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    I also have similar wear, but not nearly as pronounced.
    OK, thanks for sharing this information.

One thing to watch that these cams have a natural draw stop when they rotate all the way around and the cam lip comes to rest against the cables... If your draw is set too long you can "over rotate" past that point and cause stress on the cables.
    I understand, but that is not the case here. I have explained the reasons above and there is no doubt about that diagnosis.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003