Thread: What's "within spec" re: trad bowstring / groove alignment?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's "within spec" re: trad bowstring / groove alignment?

Test shot a new take-down today on a whim and was hooked. Got home and been living-room-drawing and noticed the bowstring doesn't seat cleany in the groove (makes a little dinging sound as the string slides over into the groove - more prominently on the upper limb) and visibly it looks like it's about a 1/2 bowstring width off to oneside when pulling. It shot great in the store but this alignment issue that I'm perceiving is driving me nuts. My Jag, ancient X100 and newer X200 all fall directly into place. Should what I'm experiencing be expected w/ a 64" bow or does something sound amiss?
    Last edited by califx200; 03-08-2012 at 06:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The string should seat cleanly in the groove when shot. Try holding the bow out infront of you lengthwise and look for a twisted limb. Might need to get new ones.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

How's the string itself look? Is it smoothly tapered from the loop serving down to the fade into the string? Might try flipping the loop over so that the long smooth taper is laying against the bow.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Can't see a twist. Just flipped the string loop around and tried swapping end to end w/ no change. Maybe I'm torquing the bow more now w/ 64" than 60"? Trying my best to pull dead-on straight but the string just doesn't want to seat cleanly. Will take it back to the shop today.

Say the bow shoots fine and my bow shop says it's fine.... how much off-centeredness (or twist) would you tolerate from a new bow? What's within spec and when does something become "limb twist"? Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the string groove in the center of the limb? Measure it. I wouldn't tolerate and deviation in a new bow.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

As Barry said in his first post, check the bow for limb twist, string the bow and set one end on the floor and holding the other in your hand look down the string, are the limbs in line with the string? The 64" bow should be steadier in your hand than a 60" bow would be. Will also be smoother to draw and shoot. Sure, it could be that you're torquing the bow and you could also be plucking the string on release. It does seem odd that it was fine in the store and this problem began when you got it home, is it the same bow?
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade