Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: youth/womens bows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob cooly View Post
    Other than not offering a Pink camo this year the adjustablility of the new cams definitly qualify it as a ladies/youth bow. I mean a 50lb bow with the new cam should go down to what 25lbs. And like the Nuge I only shoot about 50lbs max so whats the beef. The Matin bows are lighter as a whole than even the riser twisting Heli'm. If you have to have pink get it dipped.
    X2.the new fury cam takes a full grown bow and drops it down to the ladies/youth bow then right back to the 70 lbs

Post Thanks / Like

The Fury XT cam with it's 35# draw weight adjustment certainly could fit into this nitch. That's not the prroblem. It's draw length. Draw length would have to go down to about 21" and up to about 28". This would give DAD a lot of leeway without having to buy a new bow every couple years as the child grows.

And Joel, we appreciate your input, as always, but are just throwing some ideas your way. We know you pop in here every so often. Having been a staff shooter of sorts for almost 20 years (4 companies) and a sales rep for Peasron in 2003 I have seen some of the the business end of this sport and it is a rough one at that from the manufacturer's perspective.. Very competitive.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the adjustability of the fury cam and thought that was awesome but the draw length doesn't quite go down enough to make it a kids bow or a small statured womens bow. I wanted to buy my son a decent bow 4 years ago but didn't want to buy him a new bow every year. He is growing like a weed. And hes 12 so hes right at that age where any day now hes bound to hit one of those growth spurts and put on 4-6 inches in one year. I myself am shooting a 1997-98 Martin cougar or cheetah (?) so I can't even say as if I buy myself new bows much although I want one on the near horizon.

Post Thanks / Like

One bow company that has always stood out to me, but doesn't spend a ton on marketing is Darton. Check their website, but they have a decent youth bow in the RangerX, and it's reasonably priced. This bow has been around for a lot of years with minor changes, but IMO is way overlooked in favor of others that are more aggressively marketed. I mean, 17" to 28" draw length, 15# to 50# draw weight range, Looks like an adult bow, and retails at just over $200. What's not to like?
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    One bow company that has always stood out to me, but doesn't spend a ton on marketing is Darton. Check their website, but they have a decent youth bow in the RangerX, and it's reasonably priced. This bow has been around for a lot of years with minor changes, but IMO is way overlooked in favor of others that are more aggressively marketed. I mean, 17" to 28" draw length, 15# to 50# draw weight range, Looks like an adult bow, and retails at just over $200. What's not to like?
    Darton, Now theres a company I always admired, have never held or ever shot one of their products, but always wondered about them. I actually figured they may have went by the wayside like so many other companies. You just never ever hear about them. Do they even sell much of anything anymore? I have never even known anyone who has owned or shot a darton. The mystery company....

Post Thanks / Like

I've been shooting my Darton Fury since 1972, yep I said 1972. And its still a fast recurve. Darton was one of the first companys granted premmision to build compounds and about 1976 dropped recurves from their line up. Another un-reconized smaller manufacturer, but they build nice bows, compounds now, and at one time, great recurves.

http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Now that is any oldie but goody. Nice looking, too.

I think maybe the reason you don't hear much about them is because they have very few problems. I remember owning a 1992 Darton Viper and it was one fast piece of equipment. Darton made one bow that was faster in the early 90's called the Lightning and it was one of the first bows to break the 300 fps bracket. I could never handle the hard hatchet cams from that era, just like I can't handle the more aggressive cams of today.

If memory serve me correctly they were the innovators of the cam +1/2 system with their CPS cams. Hope I got that right.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I agree about the youth Bows. I do wish Martin would get back into Competition style FITA recurves. I was checking out the old Martin Aurora's and Liked what i saw. I would like to do some Oly style shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

I told my oldest daughter that if she could draw 40# I'd take her hunting with me, and she's getting close. There's some nice kids/womens bows out there, PSE, Mission, Diamon/Bowtech, but I think I'll be getting her a Bear Apprentice; 20-60 lbs of adjustment 15-27" of draw length. They also have the Outbreak, Siren, and Homewrecker all aimed at women or children.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    I told my oldest daughter that if she could draw 40# I'd take her hunting with me, and she's getting close. There's some nice kids/womens bows out there, PSE, Mission, Diamon/Bowtech, but I think I'll be getting her a Bear Apprentice; 20-60 lbs of adjustment 15-27" of draw length. They also have the Outbreak, Siren, and Homewrecker all aimed at women or children.
    something to look out for on some of these super adjustable bows is that the minimum draw weight increases with increases in draw length. ex= at 25-26" draw i saw a college age athletic looking girl struggling to pull her apprentice2 set to her draw length at basspro one day, they had to shorten draw (less than optimum) so it could get down to that 38-40 lb. range, so should be ok for shorter draw lengths and the same formula applies to max poundage too, ex. 22" draw wont go to 50 lbs.. the razor edge isnt handicapped in that way i've was told, and i think it felt better on the draw and balances a hair nicer. more slender maybe? the leopard may have a 15 lb weight range that doesnt appear to be limited by draw length. the accutrac cams got to be really nice on that one, but at 3.35 lbs(not bad, ) i'm not sure it is slim as it could have been vs. the competitors, but its history now.