Thread: 2009 Martin Firecat with 2011 Nitro cams

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2009 Martin Firecat with 2011 Nitro cams

Hey all-
    I just received my 2009 Martin Firecat back from Martin with new limbs and the 2011 Nitro cams. I am wondering if the draw length settings are the same as the Cat Cams that were on it. What should I be set at if I have a total draw length of 28.5" (including a 1/2" string loop).
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Cant say fer sure what the answer u need is ,as I am not that knowledgeable on the cam changes ,but a guess the specs charts might help on the sites main page .Give a day or two someone here should be able to help , good luc!:

Post Thanks / Like

For the full 80% let off, I think you need to be in the #4 hole and have the draw stop set all the way to the + side. For a lower let-off, you can use the #5 hole, and move the draw stop to the - side to get your 28 1/2 draw.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

There's not much difference in the cams from what you had. As mentioned, for 28.5" draw you'd have the mod set in the #4 hole, but if you are including the loop I'd set it in the #3 hole and work from there. However, you do not adjust the draw stop all the way to the plus side. It should be somehwere in the middle of it's slot. You want the draw stop set so it hits the limb just as the cable rolls to the flat side of the module at full draw. Too long and you could roll past that flat spot and the bow could lock up at full draw. Too short doesn't hurt, but this will reduce the amount of letoff and make the valley very short.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin/Rytera Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    There's not much difference in the cams from what you had. As mentioned, for 28.5" draw you'd have the mod set in the #4 hole, but if you are including the loop I'd set it in the #3 hole and work from there. However, you do not adjust the draw stop all the way to the plus side. It should be somehwere in the middle of it's slot. You want the draw stop set so it hits the limb just as the cable rolls to the flat side of the module at full draw. Too long and you could roll past that flat spot and the bow could lock up at full draw. Too short doesn't hurt, but this will reduce the amount of letoff and make the valley very short.
    Thanks bfisher! I was thinking I needed in the #4 hole or lower. I have it set in the #4 hole but feel it may be a little too much draw at that, so I think I will set it in the #3 hole and see how that feels. I also set the draw stop so that it touches the foam pad on the limb while I am at full draw. Not real sure if it is right when the cam rolls to the flat surface, I will look in mirror when I draw it or have my wife look to see when I am at full draw.

I do have a question though, that you may be able to answer. I have the bow set at 68.2 lbs and I shooting an arrow that is 27.5" long at 415 grains. I put in through the chrono today and it was shooting 279 fps with that arrow and then I also shot an arrow that is 278 grains at 289 fps. I am shooting through a whisker bisquit as well, and have nothing but a string loop and peep on the string.

Does this seem about right for speed or is there something I could do to make it faster. Granted, I am not sure if it really needs to be faster.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

The speed for The 415 gr. arrow seems to be quite normal when I run the data trough the calculator. The light arrow should have greater speed. But you might be severe underspined with that one and that could slow it down significally.
    2011 Saber Mag
    DW 60#
    DL 29"
    Victory V-force 400
    NAP Razorbak, ABC Sonic, GK Silverflame 125gr.

Post Thanks / Like

you know, I'm not sure I would shoot a 278 grain arrow out of a 340 fps 70 lb bow..... just sayin
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

If the lighter arrow really is 278 - you should be getting about 320fps.
    If you meant 378gn - then your just about right.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site , always got room for another Oregon/Martin bowhunter.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry guys, It is a 378 grain arrow not a 278 grain arrow. My finger got stuck on the 2! Does that sound normal shooting a 378 grain arrow. The 415 gr. arrow is an Beeman ICS bowhunter 340 and the 378 gr. arrow is a Gold Tip XT Hunter 7595.