Thread: 2010 vs 2011 Shadowcat

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2010 vs 2011 Shadowcat

Hi all,

After shooting at the Collegiate Indoor Nationals with my Saber, I've decided I definitely need a dedicated target bow. Wanting to stay with Martin of course so I am looking at Shadowcats from 2010 or 2011 and have a couple questions I hope some folks can answer.

1) Preferences for one model year vs. the other? Any major differences between the two years?

2) I have heard a small number of these bows have some problems with cracked limbs, how good is Martin about replacing them if I buy the bow used and thus am not the original owner?

Post Thanks / Like

well from what I have heard the 2010 have cat cams and the 2011 have nitro cams. I have a 2011 with 1.5 nitro cams. I have heard that martin is very quick to replace limbs and whatever happens to them under warrenty. I would think as a target bow you will have lower poundage then a huting bow and then possibly have a lower % of limb failure. My bow is a 45-60 limbs. bottomed out it is at 64 lbs. shooting a heavy arrow of 470 grs. I love the bow. its my frist martin and its my frist over 38" axle to axle bow. I am shooting fingers with it and for me it rocks. I have also heard a ton about the older scepters as well might be able to find one of these. Lots of info over on archerytalk regarding scepters,shadowcats.

Post Thanks / Like

i can't speak to the difference in the cams, but i can speak to the customer service from Martin should you experience limb failure. they are excellent in addressing the customer's needs in that regard.

p.m. sent.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info folks, now I just need to find a good price on one... :P

Post Thanks / Like

don b shoots the cat and know a bit about them,maybe he will come in with his .02.i have not shot the bows in question so i am no help..sorry.but as far as CS goes it is so so so very good.martin treats the people good.

Post Thanks / Like

I have got both a 2010 and a 2011 Shadowcat. I can't speak too much about limbs, as both mine have Barnsdale limbs fitted, but with the 2011 model, the are not really necessary, just nice to have.

The major difference between the two is only relevant if you have a longer draw, as the Cat and Nitro 1.5 cams are identical, in fact, there is no difference between any of the 1.5 cams from the Hybrix onwards. The 2.0 cams are a different story, and pretty much all the 2010 model limb issues I heard about were with CAT 2.0 cams.

My 2010 model came fitted with CAT 1.5 cams and my 2011 model had Nitro 2.0 cams. I liked the Nitro's so much, I bought a brand new pair, which I imported to the UK and fitted to my 2010 bow.

So, in essence, if you have a shorter draw, 27.5" to 30.5", then you will be using 1.5 cams on either bow, so no difference at all really. If you draw 30" to 32", then you wil be looking at the 2.0 cams, and in my opinion the 2011 bow is the better bet.

AS for where to buy; watch the AT classifieds, I bought both mine from there.
    Dedicated Finger Shooter.

Shadowcat(s) with Barnsdale limbs: Davis The System, Free Flyte rest.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help everyone. Closed the deal on a 2010 model, $300 shipped, with the low weight and the 1.5 cams I need.

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy your new bow.
    Dedicated Finger Shooter.

Shadowcat(s) with Barnsdale limbs: Davis The System, Free Flyte rest.

Post Thanks / Like

You will love it. I know I do. I wish I would of switched to fingers years ago and to a lighter draw.