Thread: how to pick the correct arrow

Post Thanks / Like

Default how to pick the correct arrow

I have been using a gold point 285/100gr head. The arrow sticks past my bow by 2.5 inch. This is what was given to me when I picked up my bengal. I would like to know the proper way of sizing them. My dl is 25 and I am set at 60.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Moto, mostly prefrence here. some shorter the better (for the speed) and some like a little room between their fingers and the broad head. So long short of it standard I believe is 1 3/4 inches past arrow shelf.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

First I think you mean Gold Tip and this is what I have been shooting the last couple of years. I guess the 285 means the arrow weight plus 100 gr for the tip. Sounds like they are 5575 arrows which is a 400 spine. Spine is the important factor for you. At the present size they probably spine fairly well for you. How do they shoot?

Anyway, if you are wanting more speed you could shoot just about any arrow with a 500 spine and just have it cut to the same as your draw length. It all depends on what you want to accomplish. I would get on the websites of the various arrow makers and check what they have. I'm sure most make arrows in a 500 spine with various weights---in grains per inch (GPI).

For instance, Gold Tip has their ultrlite series that have thinner walls to give more speed. Understandf that any arrow with a thinner wall will not take as much punishment as a thicker walled one. It's a trade off. The UL-500 weighs 6.3 gpi which is about 2 gpi less than your present arrows. That would mean a drop in arrow weight of about 70 grains, which would compute to about 20 to 25fps gain in speed.

You can use Gold Tip's "Build Your Own Arrow" feature and see what you'd like. The arrow I was looking at was the Ultralite Entrada listed in the target category. These are one of their budget arrows.

Hope this helps give you some ideas.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Hey Moto, mostly prefrence here. some shorter the better (for the speed) and some like a little room between their fingers and the broad head. So long short of it standard I believe is 1 3/4 inches past arrow shelf.

Hutch
    ty all and yes they are 5575 and all the info I can get helps. I want to try something other than gold tips. Just did not know what ones to order. the charts dont makes sence to me yet.
    going to cut and fletch my own arrows. almost finished my cutter. Will take pictures when finished my cutter.
    Last edited by motohead1967; 03-11-2012 at 04:18 PM.