Thread: Turkey decoy?????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Turkey decoy?????

How far away from you do you put out your decoy or decoy set.when turkey hunting I put mine about 15 to 20 yards but most of the hunting show guys set the decoy out at like 5 yards.do any of you guys set your decoys that close or is it just a tv thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I set mine up according to the situation, vegitation, terrain, weather, chance of drawing them (him) in, etc...
    In most case's I set them 10yds closer than I think (know) I can hit one.
    To answer your question - I usually set decoys at 20-25yds. If I can be stable on the shot - I am really confident on a 30-35yd shot on a turkey.
    Farther if - all is perfect...
    If the situation is thick cover, windy, sitting behind a little bush in a freezing rain...etc... then I will set up closer.
    Turkeys are usually easy to call/decoy in, but - - - - they are really perceptive so trying to get a shot off when they are at point blank range is pretty tough.
    I have never set decoys at only 5yds.

Post Thanks / Like

Usually set mine about 15 yards out. If using a tom or jake in with hens, I set the male at 15 or so, then string the hens out past that. I also always face the male decoy towards my blind or hide. Toms will almost always come face on to a male decoy, and ignore the hens at first. That gives you a chance to draw back without being busted while he's facing away.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

I like having my decoys about 15 yards but past me so that the turkey goes by me to get to them that way he is focused on the decoys and i can make the draw! It has worked for me over the years!