Thread: Onza 3 difference?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Onza 3 difference?

Hello all,
    New here to Martin. I'm thinking of getting a Onza3,Cougar FC pro or the Silencer all with the Hybrid cam.

Seem's the Cougar and Silencer are pretty close to each other. Whats the shot/feel of the 2 as I've never shot one.

I shot a Onza this past weekend and really liked it. But my ? about it is.... What's the difference between the 2011 and 2012 model if any?

Thanks, George

Post Thanks / Like

The Cougar and Silencer are essentially the same bow minus a little machining difference in the riser. The Cougar has the "claws"

As for changes from 2011 - 2012, only obvious thing I am aware of is the TRG/SOS right off the bat. I think everything else will be close to the same, but someone here will correct me if I am wrong.
    2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Onza 3 for 2012 is the same as 2011 except that the TRG/SOS have been replaced with a conventional rod/cable slide and a separate string stop. And two Nitro cam sizes are offered (1.5 and 2.0), thus a wider draw length range is now offered.

I purchased a 2011 model, it already had the TRG/SOS replaced with the above mentioned arrangements. Well, the string stop model was slightly different than in 2012 model. And the 2011 model has 60th anniversary badges in it, which I suppose have been replaced with different ones in 2012 model

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. Now I just gotta decide which to go with. Probably go with the Cougar or Silencer first as they are a little bit lighter not that the Onza is heavy.

Going to do a bit more reading and research on them.
    George

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tradhunt View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Now I just gotta decide which to go with. Probably go with the Cougar or Silencer first as they are a little bit lighter not that the Onza is heavy.
    Onza 3 is heavier than specified by Martin, though: I measured the weight as ~4.7 pounds without any accessories installed. Also Ike's Outdoors test mentiones a heavier weight, don't remember his measurement result now but you could check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi3n4mURv0M

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

My Onza fully decked out including arrows in the quiver runs right at 6#. But I don't think its that heavy, I packed it hunting last year and it wasn't that bad... then again my Saber fully decked was about the same, and before that I carried either a Winchester lever action 308 or a Remington model 700 7mag... neither are light lol.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    My Onza fully decked out including arrows in the quiver runs right at 6#. But I don't think its that heavy, I packed it hunting last year and it wasn't that bad... then again my Saber fully decked was about the same, and before that I carried either a Winchester lever action 308 or a Remington model 700 7mag... neither are light lol.
    I agree that the bow does not feel too heavy anyway. I wathced Ike's Outdoors review again and he said he measured five and half pounds for the bare bow I don't know how heavy the TRG/SOS system for 2011 was, but my Onza 3 was 4.7 pounds as I said before (bare bow).

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

kinda wish i got the onza last year instead of the firecat(cougarfc). liked the fc's risor better though. make sure you shoot the bow you plan on buying first, because each bow might have its own personality. I shot my dealers personal onza which i really liked and the fc he had for sale. i liked his onza much better, but he assured me it was because he was pulling less weight, i definitely don't think it was the case. one of those problem bows from early last year. after much tweaking and ditching trg and sos i THINK i like it. my fc is a shootin son of a gun;one of the most accurate bows i've ever owned, BUT i wish i would have had a chance to shoot another onza
    Theres a chance that the new set of hutches power chords i just put on it might make it a tighter set up after seeing how wore out those hammerheads were. cant wait to make another trip to gander mtn to find apeep and some rest chord
    2011 Firecat 400, sword twilight hunter, apa twister, lots of arrows