Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: just what is a "3 piece riser "

  1. #1
    icom
    Guest

    Question just what is a "3 piece riser "

    since I still cant reply to posts/other threads


    what/where are the 3 pieces ?
    how is the 3 piece riser put together/held together ??

  2. #2
    Super Moderator bfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Middletown, Pa, USA
    Posts
    11,594
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The newer bows that came out last year had 3pc (modular) risers. The Pantera, Bengal, Cheetah, and Leopard. It continues this year with the MOAB, FireCat, Bengal, etc.

    Instead of one huge slab of aluminum being machined there are 3 smaller pieces. A top section, middle and lower portion. These pieces are pinned and bolted together at the top of the sight window and right through the arrow shelf... If you didn't know it you most likely wouldn't see it. The fit and camo dipping is that good.

    As to why Martin decided to do this? A lot less waste of aluminum during the machining. This has several benefits. Helps keep the price of the bow down and higher profit for them.

    Win-Win for everybody.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator bfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Middletown, Pa, USA
    Posts
    11,594
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Icom,

    Can you PM me? Can you recieve PM's? I'll send you one.

    Have you registered? Maybe that's why you cant reply to threads.

  4. #4
    xxx
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    93
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He never replied to the email sent to his email address (completed the registration process). I upgraded him to registered user.

  5. #5
    icom
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
    He never replied to the email sent to his email address (completed the registration process). I upgraded him to registered user.
    never received an email..not in the junk/spam folder either


    anyway...so being a 3 piece riser,does that make the riser weaker,more prone to twisting,bending ,make the bow louder/noisier or anything ? In a nutshell,is it as good as a fully machined 1 piece is the question

    Your right,I have looked over (very closely) the Cheetah and Bengal,and I can't see/tell where those 3 pieces are,so they do seem to be very well put together. I have owned a few Martins over the years (still have a Phantom II..nice bow,kicks like a donkey though) Had a Sabre for awhile that I liked,have a buddy that picked up a Pantera about a month ago thats a sweet bow,a little long ata for me,but that thing sure shoots; that Cheetah has had me drooling since it came out, so that bow is rather high on my very short list for '08. I've been holding off getting one because of the 3 piece modular riser as I had my doubts about the design/functionality/dependability

  6. #6
    Elk4me
    Guest

    Default

    ICOM buddy dont worrie about the 3 pc riser , I have owned a Pantera, Currently own a 07 Cheetha , and have a 08 Moab on the way . I havent herd on here or AT one singile problem with a failure on this new riser design! PM me on AT or here or call me we can chat again buddy!

  7. #7
    xxx
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    93
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icom View Post
    never received an email..not in the junk/spam folder either

    Send me a private message (PM) with your email address and I'll make sure they are right in the database.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator bfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Middletown, Pa, USA
    Posts
    11,594
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Scott,

    I hope Sam gets things straightened out for you.

    The only modular riser bow I've shot is the Pantera I presently own, with Nitrous X cams on it.. I have no reservations about the structural integrity of the riser. Like Elk4me I haven't seen or heard of one riser failure to date. I would have some reservations if the bows had more vibration passing into the riser, but there is very little, as is common with most parallel limbed bows.

    I mean, let's be honest. NO BOW, none, have no vibration and/or hand shock. They all have a least a little. Those cables and strings vibrate so it can never be completely eliminated. How each company designs there bows determines how effectively it's handled. The Martins seem to do a pretty good job.

    Noise? It also comes from the vibration of the strings. My Pantera makes quite a nice humming sound, but that is due to me shooting it at 30# for now (55# limbs). When it was at peak weight it was pretty quiet, and I shoot light arrows.

    Reliability? Right up there with the rest of the top makers. Have no fear on that. One of the very few companies that still have laminated limbs on all their bows.

    Customer service? Second to none, from what I read and hear. I've been shooting them for four years and haven't had any problems so no need to contact them for any repairs.

    Just a note. Have you been paying attention to the 2008 FireCat or MOAB?
    FireCat is a smoker (what I ordered). The MOAB has the same cam as the Bengal and Cheetah. 33" A2A, kinda in the middle of what people prefer today. The extra couple inches will give it a slightly smoother draw and more speed. Depending on your draw length it'll have less acute string angle, too. MOAB is priced right, too. I'll probably end up with one for a hunting bow. Keep the FireCat for 3D.

    Whatever, if you have any questions or suggestions, orif you just want to chat then do it. I'm on here a couple times a day.

    Barry

  9. #9
    icom
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Scott,

    I hope Sam gets things straightened out for you.

    The only modular riser bow I've shot is the Pantera I presently own, with Nitrous X cams on it.. I have no reservations about the structural integrity of the riser. Like Elk4me I haven't seen or heard of one riser failure to date. I would have some reservations if the bows had more vibration passing into the riser, but there is very little, as is common with most parallel limbed bows.

    I mean, let's be honest. NO BOW, none, have no vibration and/or hand shock. They all have a least a little. Those cables and strings vibrate so it can never be completely eliminated. How each company designs there bows determines how effectively it's handled. The Martins seem to do a pretty good job.

    Noise? It also comes from the vibration of the strings. My Pantera makes quite a nice humming sound, but that is due to me shooting it at 30# for now (55# limbs). When it was at peak weight it was pretty quiet, and I shoot light arrows.

    Reliability? Right up there with the rest of the top makers. Have no fear on that. One of the very few companies that still have laminated limbs on all their bows.

    Customer service? Second to none, from what I read and hear. I've been shooting them for four years and haven't had any problems so no need to contact them for any repairs.

    Just a note. Have you been paying attention to the 2008 FireCat or MOAB?
    FireCat is a smoker (what I ordered). The MOAB has the same cam as the Bengal and Cheetah. 33" A2A, kinda in the middle of what people prefer today. The extra couple inches will give it a slightly smoother draw and more speed. Depending on your draw length it'll have less acute string angle, too. MOAB is priced right, too. I'll probably end up with one for a hunting bow. Keep the FireCat for 3D.

    Whatever, if you have any questions or suggestions, orif you just want to chat then do it. I'm on here a couple times a day.

    Barry

    thanks Barry.

    I'm looking at that Moab too..that is a very nice looking bow and I dont suppose I'd ever notice the extra 1.5" (or less) on each end I don't know if the dealer here will get one in or not,guess I'll have to ask him,but I've never seen him have any of the Pro Series bows

  10. #10
    geronimo
    Guest

    Default

    So the 2008 Cheetah does not have a 3 piece riser: is that correct?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •