Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Center Shot & Sight Pins

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    Better if I back it out a turn to turn/half? If everything is shooting proper I'd like to stick with what I got, lot of money invested so far into the arrows and gonna be a royal beyotch getting something different. I did think about going with a .340 or .350 before, but was told I should be good with the 5575s

At the same time if I'll ultimately be better off with a stiffer spine and someone is will to do a swap/buy give me a holler. I got 11 XT Hunter (smacked one yesterday at 30 and broke it) 27.25 carbon to carbon with very few shots on each shaft, some have been shot less than 10 times - standard GT nocks. Fletched with Predator vanes - some need to be refletched, had some vanes tear off shooting - I can prep and do that if need.
    I ran your numbers on OT2: 70# 29.5" with a 27 1/4" GT 7595 / 100gn tip and it puts you into the green (on the weak side).
    The same setup with a GT 5575 is almost off the scale underspined...

Actually you need to measure the arrow from the throat of the nock to the end of the carbon but...

I shoot 7595's out of my AX at 61.5# 29". At that draw weight they are a bit stiff but out past 40yds I can group better with them and they penetrate way better.
    And my 60# AX is my main hunting bow so I dont mind giving up a little speed for the other benifits.

I'd swap you a few arrows cuz I shoot both sizes (5575's out of my 50# bows) but 27.25" is too short for me.
    Last edited by Spiker; 03-18-2012 at 07:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I had considered looking at the Velocity 300s as well. I might be able to swing a deal on AT and get at pretty close to what I would need/want for another dozen. I'll see how things continue to go as I keep shooting. Haven't done a lot of shooting past 30-40 yet, hope to get back out to the range next weekend weather permitting and get some 30-50+ in. I can get 20-30 very comfortably in my driveway/yard and can stretch it to 40 if I put my target a yards into my garage.

It all is what it is if everything is in order and shooting properly, I'm not going to mess with it much. I already get really bad cases of "tinkeritis".
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    Posted this in the mafia haven't seen any replies yet. Been messing with the X more and this is what I was finding yesterday. Things didn't feel as "off" as this when I first started shooting, but I added some string silencers and then this is where I got. I pulled them off in hopes of having things get back to closer to where I was prior to putting them on.

I started with the rest/arrow being about 7/8" from the riser and through the center of the rest holes. If I line up my string down the center of the riser with the arrow, my pins are WAY out to the left. When I shoot from 20 yards I'm centered and then step back to 40 yard, still center impact. Doesn't seem right to me and wondering if this is somewhat normal with the X because of the CCS? So I don't know if I was to move the rest out from the riser say to 1" center of the shaft, if I would need to bring the pins back to the right to compensate or if this would throw it off even further.

Also wondering if I'm considerably underspined and if that could have something to do with it. I have yet to get this in front of paper, don't have a set up for that yet - need to build a box to shoot through. Set up/specs are below.

2010 X - 70# / 29.5 DL
    GT XT Hunter 5575 - 27.25 carbon 2 carbon - 100g tip
    Trufire 3D Hunter release w/ D-Loop
    Limbdriver rest
    my bow is set up the same.i just left it alone.it shoots straight and hits paper fine.i thought about messing with things but decided not to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    my bow is set up the same.i just left it alone.it shoots straight and hits paper fine.i thought about messing with things but decided not to.
    That is my problem, I will always think about messing with something and I will research the living crap out of it and then either set my mind to it or find a way to talk myself out of it in the process. I'm wired differently when it comes to things like that lol.

I'll see what happens this next weekend when I can do some more shooting and evaluate from there. Should I need to sell 10-11 XT Hunters, don't think I'll have that hard of a time doing so on AT.

Post Thanks / Like

If you do have problems though dropping your poundage say 5 pounds may help bring it line, or shooting a lighter tip.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Was out shooting again, did back the bow down a turn and half. Think I'm going to pull another out of it. The speed on this has me very impressed and a bit puzzled at the same time. I was using the same pin I had set for 20 and shooting it for 30 and 40 as well. All hitting very close to each other. Feels a little weird and I don't know if it is 100% accurate, we did have a little breeze, but nothing I would expect to help carry an arrow that far. Only thing I can think is just the flat trajectory this thing is putting out there, definitely not used to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice to back the bow down to 65# or maybe even more. You could try broadheads and see how they fly. If they're irratic then you'll know for sure. My experience tells me the 5575 is way underspined and even 7595 (340 spine) might be marginal. I would advise you to lean more toward a 300 spine. I decent budget arrow for this would be a Gold Tip Expedition if funds are tight. Try a half dozen. If they work you can always get another half dozen later.

As for the sight setting being to the left? Almost any bow with a cable guard will require the sight pin to be to the left of the string. This is due to several things, but mostly because the cables are pulled to the side causing limb/riser torque. This torque becomes even greater as the bow is drawn and more force is shifted from the string to the cables. Then there's always the possibility that you have some astigmatism in your aiming eye (I have bad astigmatism). Arrow spine could be another contributing factor. In other words, tune the bow where it needs to be and then shoot it.

To give an example about the astigmatism, I have two friends that shoot my bows once in a while and with my bow sighted for me they both shoot approximately 8" to the right at 20 yards. I'd hate to think what the results would be at something like 50 yards. The point being---different eyes see different things. I just accept it and shoot the bow.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Good call Barry. I after shooting today, I know I need to turn it down some more if I plan to keep shooting these arrows. The Alien is just too agressive for these, they would be perfect for my Cheetah. So I'm going to put some real thought into selling/trading these XT Hunters for either some 7595s or Velocity 300s. After today, I'm almost 99% sure most of my issues with getting these thing tuned properly is the arrow. Was really back and forth trying to get center shot lined up perfectly from 20-40. Next time I get to shoot, I'll have turned it down some more and we'll see if that helps it.

Also, going off my other thread in fletching ... gonna have to do some more, had another come off today and slapped an arrow skinning one off last night. Plan to buy some Blazers pronto and getting them done up. Only thing that is going to hold me back is the arrow change

Post Thanks / Like

Something else you might try are the GT 22 series if you are interested in staying on the light side. These only come in one spine and it's 300. They weigh a mere 7.3 gpi. This would give you a faster arrow and give you more latitude in point/fletching options to vary the total arrow weight. I've used them off and on for 3D and target for several years now.

Something you can do is get on GT's website and use their "Build Your Own Arrow" feature to see what might work best for you. Just depending on what you want to end up with don't discount using one of the several target shaft options.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Just did the homework at GT. Ultralite 22 series is listed under target shafts. 29" shaft with 3 Blazers, standard nock and insert with 100 gr points works out to 359 grains with an FOC of 10%. Sounds like a match made in Heaven.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver