Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Center Shot & Sight Pins

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Something else you might try are the GT 22 series if you are interested in staying on the light side. These only come in one spine and it's 300. They weigh a mere 7.3 gpi. This would give you a faster arrow and give you more latitude in point/fletching options to vary the total arrow weight. I've used them off and on for 3D and target for several years now.

Something you can do is get on GT's website and use their "Build Your Own Arrow" feature to see what might work best for you. Just depending on what you want to end up with don't discount using one of the several target shaft options.
    I play with the arrow builder all the time I'm not overly concerned with the weight in staying really light, I think after shooting my Velocity 400s with my Cheetah at around 340ish I wouldn't mind kicking the weight up a little for a touch more penetration possibility as well as silencing the bow a touch more with the heavier arrow.

Just did the homework at GT. Ultralite 22 series is listed under target shafts. 29" shaft with 3 Blazers, standard nock and insert with 100 gr points works out to 359 grains with an FOC of 10%. Sounds like a match made in Heaven.
    I have looked at the Velocity (300) arrows at my length and they would be around 368-370ish, I might put the shaft a touch longer with those since they are 300s. Going to play with the builder some more today and see what I get. Probably going to put up a post in AT and here for the shafts I have now to see if there is any interest in them, otherwise I'll just be trying to get the X tuned with them.

Builder Update:
    Velocity 300s 27.25 C2C - Acculite nocks - 100g tip approx 367gr 8.83% FOC

Dont want to have to fart around with the weights to increase FOC up to close to 10% with a 10g weight a 20g would take it to 10.87% - reason for the weights is I don't want to switch broadheads to a 125 because the T3 only comes 100g
    Last edited by droppixel; 03-26-2012 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Arrow update
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so now I'm at a decision point. Put a post up and sure enough got a nibble on the arrows. I turned the bow down the other night but haven't had a chance to really play with it and the current arrows at that poundage. I could take the offer and sell the arrows and then pick up another dozen. Right now I am looking at Velocity 300s - good price on one of the fleabay stores. Can't find any 7595 that aren't bank breakers (have to stick within a budget or risk divorce) and want to stick with Gold Tips.

Now I don't want to run the risk of being overspined and getting right back into the same situation where I won't be able to get them to tune properly with the bow. Thoughts guys?

Post Thanks / Like

Try looking for Expeditions in a 300 spine. They're about as cheap as you're going to get.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Try looking for Expeditions in a 300 spine. They're about as cheap as you're going to get.
    Think the expeditions only make it to .340 with the 7595s

Looking at $73 fletched Velocity Hunter 300 / $81 Velocity XT fletched
    $57 shafts Velocity Hunter 300 (not listed, auction ended, should be reposted soon)
    looks like a dozen of 7595 shafts popped up recently for $70.75 (figure + $13-14 for vanes)

I know this is one area you don't want to take the cheap way out, but I'm not about to drop $100+ on a dozen arrows.

Post Thanks / Like

You're right, my bad. Forgive me as I'm an old senior and as such have senior moments; too often these days. I meant Ultralite Entrada 300.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

You're right, my bad. Forgive me as I'm an old senior and as such have senior moments; too often these days. I meant Ultralite Entrada 300.
    Hahah no worries ... so you think a .300 might not be bad? I'm not in the boat where I HAVE to shoot 70# - I'm comfortable in the mid-60 range, can shoot 70 if I feel like it. Thinking if I go up toward 70 I'll need the stiffer spine for sure after seeing what I have seen so far. If I turn it down, I still haven't been able to check the flight of the arrows at the current .400

**EDIT**

So I probably shouldn't do this, but did anyway. Installed the trial of Shaft Selector from OT2

Here is the XT Hunter Setup with the X - in order to get this in the good range ... it wasn't happening until the draw length and poundage both came way down or the point weight was crazy low.

Here is what I got when I put in the Velocity 300

Does this look right to you software guys?? The Bow numbers was set with the equipment database selecting the Alien X Hybrix
    Last edited by droppixel; 03-28-2012 at 04:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the numbers you put in OT2 are good.
    I use GT XT 7595's, 100gn points at 28.5" in my AX and AZ - both bows at 62# 29" and they tune/shoot really well so I would think
    that at 67-70# the Velocity .300's should work very well for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    I think the numbers you put in OT2 are good.
    I use GT XT 7595's, 100gn points at 28.5" in my AX and AZ - both bows at 62# 29" and they tune/shoot really well so I would think
    that at 67-70# the Velocity .300's should work very well for you.
    Perfect - all I needed to hear. I was looking at it some more and if I am doing everything right, even if I turn down to 64/65# i'm still in the "good" range while being closer to the stiff end. Gonna try to get these 5575s gone and nab some of the 300s off fleabay.

Post Thanks / Like

My experience with OT2 and the advice I've gotten on hunting setups is that it's better to be a little on the stiff side of the graph... And I haven't had any problem tuning my setups. Just a thought.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

So I got the Velocity 300s and got them set up last night with Blazers. Took the Alien out this morning to drown my sorrows and sure enough, shoots a heck of a lot better with the stiffer shaft. Feels a lot more consistent, Brought my sight closer to the riser instead of WAY out to the left. Wife called and cut my session short, so I'll still be working with it a little more to have it totally dialed in. But overall, very pleased with the decision to go stiffer.