Thread: who remembers

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default who remembers

when you went to a 3d and the targets were 2d with the picture cut to the shape of the foam thats all we had till we got real 3d targets
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

I remember, thats how it was when I first started. Plus most of the clubs would hold broadhead shoots in early fall prior to the season with some or most of the targets being paper on cardboard staked in front of a dirt pile!
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

back in our day we only had field to shoot. we pinned the targets to hay bales and shoot recurves...and i was pretty good back then...my how time flies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosII View Post
    back in our day we only had field to shoot. we pinned the targets to hay bales and shoot recurves...and i was pretty good back then...my how time flies.
    X2! The older I get, the better I was! However, my first archery club made papermache 3d Animal targets for our annual novelty shoot. The Club was the Sebastopol Bowhunters and the shoot was called Seborama. Our ourdoor range was on 40 acres of redwoods, near Occidental, Calif. The one target visable from Occidental Rd was an 18 foot Giraffe. We worked on those targets all winter long at the indoor range, a converted chicken barn, near Graton, Calif. Great times with that old club.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I'm like some of the other old guys on here. Started shooting field back in 1973. The animal round was peper targets on bales. Can't quite remember when the 2D targets came along but it was a welcome change--something different. Then came 3D, the real deal. If there's one thing I've noticed it's that the more organized these shoots become the more people want to shoot for money (IBO & ASA). Along with this the common hunter has kind of been left in the dust and it's become less fun. There's not much better than a few local club shoots to get it back into perspective. I have always kept score if for no other reason than to keep track of whether I'm getting any better at it-----judging distance and the shooting part. Really, what's the alternative, sitting at home? Not a chance.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I remember..I'm 41, started shooting in the Tri-County Rod and Gun Club in a small town where I'm from, when I was 15. Things have sure changed..but the fun is still there. I remember the bales the the paper targets were attached to..compressed soundboard with large bolts, and 2x6's holding them together. The penalty was high for a high miss..those bolts and nuts were hard on aluminum. I also remember when XX75's were the bomb..then replaced by X7's and the whole NIB craze. TM hunter rests were the ultimate at the time. Saunders torque Tamer stabilizers were also the hot ticket! I thought the game had changed when I got my first Jim Fletcher wrist release!
    Last edited by Mo0se; 04-12-2012 at 04:30 PM.