Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fletching arrows - headache

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for super glue, I use Loctite super control gel, it dries a little slower than regular super glue so you can get your jig set and it's "impact resistant". Works great for me!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

i would use some very fine grit emory cloth (sand paper) rather than an sos pad. I would put a little more time into it and ensure all surfaces are smooth. Ive used thinner and rubbing alchohol to clean the surface prior to glueing and they both work great. i would give it a little more dry time to, maybe 10 minutes a piece. nothing wrong with the the platinum adhesive you are using. its the best out there. also how long are you waiting prior to shooting your arrows.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

i know people that use super glue, i have as well before. all i can gurantee about it is that it is more runny. it is an instant bond rather than a timed bond. the last blazers that i superglued came off, but it was because the fletchings were making contact with my limbdriver rest. the fletch tite platinum though is great, its not instant but it still dries quick. i just fletched my first feather last week from tru flight, and they havent come off yet. i even was a little sloppy with a few of them and it turned out great. good luck to you though

Post Thanks / Like

Any of you guys ever use the shrink type fletching and wrap? Just wondering if it was junk or actually worked?
    2013 Martin Onza XT
    NAP Apache Rest
    Trophy Ridge 3pin Cypher Sight
    NAP Apache Stabilizer
    Kwikee Kwik 3 Kwiver
    Truball stinger release
    CX Heart Attack 350
    100g Rocket Hammerheads

Bow String Depot

60% of the time it works every time!

WWW.shorewindshuntingfarm.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lung Buster View Post
    Any of you guys ever use the shrink type fletching and wrap? Just wondering if it was junk or actually worked?
    I've thought about it, but they are pricey. I know some people that use them that have no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by dzsmith
    i would use some very fine grit emory cloth (sand paper) rather than an sos pad. I would put a little more time into it and ensure all surfaces are smooth. Ive used thinner and rubbing alchohol to clean the surface prior to glueing and they both work great. i would give it a little more dry time to, maybe 10 minutes a piece. nothing wrong with the the platinum adhesive you are using. its the best out there. also how long are you waiting prior to shooting your arrows.
    I clean mine shaft and vane with alcohol and let that dry. I use a super glue but let them sit in the jib for about minute or so and then I let them sit for at least 24 hours prior to shooting. I don't know if my glue is thinning out a little, towards the end of the bottle or what, but I was not expecting to see vanes fly off like this. Could be my process, could be contact with the rest. Using a limbdriver so I would think I'm getting the clearance I need.
    Last edited by droppixel; 03-24-2012 at 05:38 AM.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Blazers rule! I use Blazers and Super glue without a problem (besides operator error).
    Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    Having one heck of a headache over this last batch of arrows I fletched. Got a pack of Norway Predator vanes from on of the big string guys on AT and they have been flying off my arrows left and right. I don't know what is going on, never had this happen with the other arrows I did with a different batch of vanes while shooting my Cheetah. All of my prep was exactly the same yet I have been losing vanes like crazy. I can hear them fly off when I shoot, makes a pretty neat sound tbh, but royal pita.

I have already re-done a few of them and I'm almost to the point where I am about to say "f-it" with these vanes and pull every one of them off and switch to Blazers. I don't know if it is the vanes, the arrow shafts or the speed of the bow (Alien) that is the cause of the vanes from flying off.
    Show off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedykills View Post
    Cure your headace and go to blazers,ive fletch my own for years with no problems.They have no problems staying on at speeds of 288-300fps+.......
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com