Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draw module screws?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Draw module screws?

So when trying to change the draw length on my bow, I accidentally stripped the head of one of the allen screws on the module.

1) Where can I buy a replacement screw? I went to two hardware stores today and they didn't have anything like that.

2) Any suggestions for getting the stripped screw out?

Post Thanks / Like

Well it depends on how tite they are. Normally its the heads that wont move, not the threads. So you can drill the head then unscrew the threaded part. If you want to try something else first, you can try a hardened allen drive bit. I gave up on my mod screws, but i didnt need to move them so they never ended up getting drilled.
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

Post Thanks / Like

Default mod screws

I switch mine out with stainless phillips heads from home depot.way easier to work with,and they go in or out way easier than playing with a tiny allen wrench.

Post Thanks / Like

If the allen head is stripped, the screw is going to have to be drilled out. Not as tough as it sounds tho, just take your time, use the correct size drill, and again, work slowly!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

From AT, few options you could look into if you are comfortable. They also make screw extractors, would need to check your hardware store for that.

It is easy. I have done it a bunch. You can buy some left handed drill bits. Use a bit as big as the threaded shaft of the screw. Start drilling through the center of the head in reverse since it is a lefty bit. Usually the drill bit will turn the screw on out. If not, once you drill down through the head, the head will pop off and you can easily remove the threaded shaft by hand. You can also use a regular bit to drill off the head. Works like a charm. Use a sharp bit and drill slow.
    An easy way is to carefully drive a star bit (torx bit) of the correct size into the stripped out hole and try to unscrew it with that but be sure to support the cam at the back side of the screw when driving the star bit into the hole. Also, the Dremel used with a metal cutting blade to cut a slot into the stripped out screw head then use a flat blade screw driver to remove works well. Drill it out as a last resort. If you have the cam off the bow, using a soldering iron to add heat to the area around the screw can assist with removal.
    2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    From AT, few options you could look into if you are comfortable. They also make screw extractors, would need to check your hardware store for that.
    Yup, I got a screw extractor today. Friend is bringing a drill over later and we are going to very carefully attempt this.

Post Thanks / Like

I would sujest you try this method 1st befor any drilling ...An easy way is to carefully drive a star bit (torx bit) of the correct size into the stripped out hole and try to unscrew it with that but be sure to support the cam at the back side of the screw when driving the star bit into the hole.
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElkSlayer View Post
    I would sujest you try this method 1st befor any drilling ...An easy way is to carefully drive a star bit (torx bit) of the correct size into the stripped out hole and try to unscrew it with that but be sure to support the cam at the back side of the screw when driving the star bit into the hole.
    Did attempt that already...the head was too far rounded out for one bit to do anything, and the next bit was too big to fit.

Post Thanks / Like

well then, thats a delima alright. i hope you plan on doing this on a un strong cam if it were me, would remove cam from bow aswell...drilling is dang hard and should not be taken lightly. one slip and its over for your cam.... drill slowly and squarly to the cam spot on center of screw..best of luck to you and your pal...
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

I had this problem once and i used a small dremal tool and used a small disc and made a notch across the head and used a screw driver to get screw out worked like a charm,,,,,good luck....