Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Martin Tuners?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Super tuning or advanced tuning isn't major. I just finished one for a customer. It starts with a new string and cable(s). Then making sure you the bow is set to specs. Once set to specs then set the timing. Once timing is complete you do creep tuning. With that all said and done. I put it into the shooting machine and adjust the sight and rest. Then I set the bow to the right draw weight and draw length. Then I test it for fps. Usually you can pick up more speed and the bow will be a little bit quieter. The only other thing it does is let you sight it in at further yardage. Like I did in this video of my bow. Watch all three parts.

http://s745.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=101_2268.mp4
    cool supper shooter. Where is the specs for it please. Hi Bill nice to put a face to Hutchnsonarchery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jw_334 View Post
    How do you like Whitetails plus in Deer Park, Wa. I actually get up to Spokane every once in a while. Have friends in Post Falls and CDA. So a trip to Deer Park would not be out of the question for me if they do a good job.
    I drive 90 miles (one way) pass two pro shops and two Big box store to get to WhiteTails Plus. I recommended the shop to guys from CDA and returned home Happy. Plus they are a Martin Pro Dealer.

Post Thanks / Like

Like the videos Hutch where did you post the build for it? I may want to build one...

As for the super tuners though, for myself, I'm a DIY type of guy, and I like to know how things work and why... there are plenty of resources out there for those who want to learn (this great forum being one ). If a guy has the gumption to learn he won't need a "super tuner" tech, just him/her self. Just my .02...
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Wabbit. I agree. But my problem is I gotta do hands-on to learn. I have read all kinds of stuff and watched a bunch of videos and i do perform a lot of my own work. I would love to find someone willing to take the time to teach me the proper way to do this stuff. We don't have a good shop anywhere close. So doing all this stuff for me, my family and friends would be a big plus.
    GO DUCKS!

Post Thanks / Like

jw, that's a slippery slope my friend lol; I started out learning for myself, and now all my friends that shoot bring their stuff to me... sometimes its daunting having a friend hand you a $500-1000 bow and say "I trust you", and knowing that if I break something its on me.

However, I started just by reading what I could, watching videos on you tube, and then building/buying some basic equipment. A draw board can be made pretty easily, Martin sells an inexpensive draw scale, and a bowmaster press w/limb attachments and a chrono can both be had pretty cheap if you shop around. I think I've spent around $250-300 on my tuning equipment total over the last few years. Most of it was purchased just so I could set my Onza up myself, just before I purchased it.

I'm no expert by any means, and there's some very knowledgeable and helpful people in this forum that are light years ahead of me, but I've learned more from just tweaking my bows myself and seeing the results than I would have otherwise. And if I get stuck I know I can come on here and ask a question. Besides, its also fun .

Other than LaGrande, and Walla Walla, the only other place I know of down there is a little shop in Hermiston... I don't even know if he's still open lol.
    Last edited by wscywabbit; 03-25-2012 at 08:13 AM.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If you guys want plans to THE SUPER SHOOTER. Email us! You can't beat the design AT members have tried for 4 years now. Well they are still trying!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jw_334 View Post
    Anybody know of a good Martin tuner in N.E. Oregon or S.E. Washington? Will the Martin Factory do a tune with custom strings? Don't get me wrong I love the way my Martin Silencer shoots. Just wondering how much better it could be after reading about some of the so called "super tuners".
    Here is a link to a place that specializes in what you are looking for they are right up the road from me.

http://www.bowxperts.com/supertune.htm

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

You guys better watch out. There's a downside to learning too much. I've been doing all my own work for almost 40 years, know too much, and always learning more. The problem with knowing so much is that you'll end up working on everybody else's equipment and not have time to shoot your own. This happens to me all the time. I got to the club to shoot a Vegas (600 round) for pratice. I usually get to shoot about 8 arrows and the rest of the evening is spent "bow teching" for other folks. And there's always some coaching going on, too.

Two weeks ago I got my bow all rigged up for practice and never got to shoot an arrow although I was there for over two hours. It happens a lot on the outside practice range, too. As luck would have it I'm retired so I can go during the day when most everybody is working. And believe me, between getting older (eyes and muscles) I can use all the practice I can get.

But, the other side of the coin is that I get to help others and pass along a lot of what I have learned during my shooting career. Some of my former students, like Merrill, have learned enough from me and from their own tinkering that they help others, too, and this is what floats my boat.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Just think of all the people you've helped along the way . I know it may not be said often but we all thank you for your help and guidance. If we can all just take a little of what we learn in these forums and pass it on well all be that much better in the end...

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

That's what it's all about Wabbit. Grow the sport.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver