Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: seeking help

Post Thanks / Like

Default seeking help

Sorry - I have never posted before - don't know if i'm doing this correctly.
    I have purchased a "bone hunter" which I understand to be equal to a "cheetah."
    It was factory set for 60 lb and i am trying to back it down. Made a great buy on craigslist, but bow is for an adult, and I am trying to make it work for a kid. I purchased a module pack to bring down the draw length, but can't get the draw weight lowered enough by just backing out the screws. I am guessing i'm down to 48 lb +/-, and probably need to get to 30 - 35 lbs. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by djgibbens; 03-26-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

dj,

Welcome to the forums. Hope you enjoy your stay, but I have bad news for you. At the base of the limbs there should be a number/letter (3M) designating the limb deflection. For you to use the bow for any length of time at 35# or so you'd be better served to get lighter limbs. 50# (1M) limbs can be backed off easily to 35# and shot that way indefinitely. I would suggest looking in the classifieds at Archery Talk for a good used pair. You'd want 13", 1M or even 1L limbs.

Not knowing the "kid" if he can only draw 30-35# right now I doubt that he'd work into 60# any time soon so maybe you could find somebody willing to swap you even up if you're lucky.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Martin says that 5 turns out on the limb bolts is the lowest setting that's safe to shoot. That should be a 15# drop from the 60# max. roughly, so 45#. That being said, I have a 60# Rytera that I have turned down to 38# for my girlfriend to shoot, and so far haven't had any problems. She's put a couple hundred shots through it, and it seems to be fine. I do realise that if anything goes wrong, I won't expect Martin to stand behind it though, having been shot out of spec.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Are you telling me I might be able to back out beyond 5 turns?
    How will I know when I need to stop?
    Anybody have thoughts about changing the string?

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djgibbens View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Are you telling me I might be able to back out beyond 5 turns?
    How will I know when I need to stop?
    Anybody have thoughts about changing the string?
    Welcome to the forum djgibbens. Your bow is a 45-60 so the least you would be able to get out of it would be 42 to 45 pounds. This is probably already mentioned above. By turning the limb bolts all the way in the bow will probably read 60 to 62lbs. Backing out the bolts 1 turn on bottom and top is minus 3lbs continue 5 times and it will be 42- 45lbs. If you look in the barrel nuts on the riser you can see the bolt inside if you go to far you will be able to see the end. As far as changing the string, you can not shorten the string to shorten the draw length. But to replace it, all you have to do is loosen the limb bolts equally till the string comes loose.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

When I was in 8th grade, my father bought me my first compound bow for my birthday. It was 1985 and the bow was an old Bear Magnum hunter. It was a 45-60 lb pull and I was a scrawny little thing. We backed them limb bolts out and out and out trying to relax the cables to lower the draw length. The bow came apart. Luckily the limbs were relaxed enough we didn't get hurt. We had to hire a local bow shop to put it back together. Anyways I am confident that i had the bolts down after the repair to close to 40 lbs just so i could pull it. After a few months of shooting I had it up to 55 lbs or so and was shooting comfortable. Amazing how shooting builds the particular muscle groups you need to develop so quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to be so ignorant .... is it correct to understand that I will be safe to back out the nuts until I can see the end just coming out, then turn back in a half turn or so?

I don't want the thing to unwind on me!

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It is not recommended to shoot it with more then 5 turns out. Thats not to say it has not been done.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

A person was killed when there bow blew apart,when it's your time it;s your time,but no need to push it.............

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djgibbens View Post
    Sorry to be so ignorant .... is it correct to understand that I will be safe to back out the nuts until I can see the end just coming out, then turn back in a half turn or so?

I don't want the thing to unwind on me!
    welcome to the forum
    i would not shoot the bow past 6 full turns.i know other people have shot past that but i would not push it.its all comes down to safty for me and warrenty.if you go past 5 turns(15lbs)and something breaks on the bow at draw or release then the blame would be on you along with the cost of a new bow or parts.best off totry and find a swap for them 50lb limbs.this is all just a IMO thing