Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: seeking help

Post Thanks / Like

Get different limbs or get a bow that fits. I wouldn't shoot a bow more than 5 turns out and wouldn't suggest it to anyone either, escpecially a kid. Better safe than sorry.
    A little common sense goes a long way, unfortunately it's in short supply!

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, I have been in contact with dj via PM and made some suggestions based on my experience. I suggested short stringing the bow one inch and backing the limbs off by 8 turns With so much less stress on the limbs I don't foresee a problem so long as the limb bolts have a full barrel nut. I made other suggestions as well, but this is the most of it. I also told him this is not the best solution but the lad he's working with has never shot a bow before so after shooting a while he should get the right muscles moving the right way and develop more strength in a fairly short time.

As some of you already know I had a 2007 Pantera, 55#, that I backed off to 27# and shot it for several months that way (long story). So I think we can make this work for a short amount of time.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great Barry! hope he goes with it.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Sounds great Barry! hope he goes with it.

Hutch
    Thanks Bill. I'm pretty sure he's going to try it. He should get back to me in about a week. I know some guys are going to disagree with me. I know lighter limbs would be the best choice in the short term, but tyring to keep his wallet closed, and it's not a forever situation. The boy is 13 and about 5' tall. I figure if he gets proper guidance he should develop fairly quickly. And by the way, he told me that somebody at Martin (Joel?) suggested he short string it, too. Don't forget. This can drop 5-8# off the draw weight range right from the git go so I hope it works. It's a lot cheaper than new limbs or bow.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Barry, I know it will work. djgibbens just didn't clarify what exactly he was thinking of doing and I didn't want to steer him in the wrong direction Just to have it come back on me. I understand what he is up against. I did close to the same thing with my daughter. I also used a pulley, rope, handle and some weights to set her up with an exercise machine.It simulated pulling a bow. I made her do both arms. In about 6 months she was ready to hunt.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks in advance

Hey guys!

I just want to thank all of you for looking in on my project. Especially Barry!

I will be able to venture into this sometime in the next week or so, and really appreciate the coaching.

If I lose confidence in myself or the safety of the resulting set up, I'll back off.

My experience tells me that the further I get into this, the more informed I will become - so I'm looking forward to the adventure!

Thanks again for all the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Default By the way ...

When I change out the string, do I need to put in a peep sight prior to stringing up? Or is that done after I establish that my kid can pull the new set up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Guys, I have been in contact with dj via PM and made some suggestions based on my experience. I suggested short stringing the bow one inch and backing the limbs off by 8 turns With so much less stress on the limbs I don't foresee a problem so long as the limb bolts have a full barrel nut.
    I think installing locking bolts (with nylon tip - these are very inexpensive parts) to the barrel nuts could be a good idea to confirm safety. The draw weight bolts tend to creep a little to the open direction if not locked.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantonza View Post
    I think installing locking bolts (with nylon tip - these are very inexpensive parts) to the barrel nuts could be a good idea to confirm safety. The draw weight bolts tend to creep a little to the open direction if not locked.
    Very good suggestion. One I thought of but just didn't post. I have them on both my Ryteras although mine have the brass tips.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Default help! Help!

Hey guys! ---- me again.

I had a few hours yesterday, so I took the original string off, and bought a 1 1/2" shorter string to go back on with. I took some pictures before removal, thinking it would help me re-string. I ran out of time and had to put it all back in the closet until this weekend. Looks like a soup sandwich to me right now

I think I can figure out where everything goes, from the cam diagram on Martin's web site, but I wonder if anybody's got tips for getting the bow back together without a bow press?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.