Thread: Howatt Hunter Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Howatt Hunter Questions

This is a much abridged post with 2 quick questions. Been trying to post in the Trad Bow Forum but it doesn't seem to be going through.

I have an older Howatt Hunter, 53# @ 28", number HHX3388-62", and I want to use it to shoot targets. It was given to me by my father-in-law, and I need a new bowstring and arrows for it without breaking the bank. I am an experienced archer though I would consider myself mediocre at best, and most of my experience has been with compounds. I would like to know what bowstring to buy, and what arrows to use (not wood since I had a bad experience with them once) for plinking targets and maybe an occasional squirrel if they won't stay out of my garden. I don't want to go too cheap, but not top-of-the-line. Was thinking of going with a little longer bowstring to reduce the pull for targets, but I don't know if that works or not.

Thanks in advance for any advise you can give

Post Thanks / Like

You'll need a 58" 14 strand string. Using a longer string will not reduce the draw weight of your Howatt Hunter. All of the Traditional sites I read recomend D Merril for recurve strings, just ordered two strings from him myself. Heck of a string for $10 and shipping.

www.dmerrill.com
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade