Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Center Shot & Sight Pins

Post Thanks / Like

Default Center Shot & Sight Pins

Posted this in the mafia haven't seen any replies yet. Been messing with the X more and this is what I was finding yesterday. Things didn't feel as "off" as this when I first started shooting, but I added some string silencers and then this is where I got. I pulled them off in hopes of having things get back to closer to where I was prior to putting them on.

I started with the rest/arrow being about 7/8" from the riser and through the center of the rest holes. If I line up my string down the center of the riser with the arrow, my pins are WAY out to the left. When I shoot from 20 yards I'm centered and then step back to 40 yard, still center impact. Doesn't seem right to me and wondering if this is somewhat normal with the X because of the CCS? So I don't know if I was to move the rest out from the riser say to 1" center of the shaft, if I would need to bring the pins back to the right to compensate or if this would throw it off even further.

Also wondering if I'm considerably underspined and if that could have something to do with it. I have yet to get this in front of paper, don't have a set up for that yet - need to build a box to shoot through. Set up/specs are below.

2010 X - 70# / 29.5 DL
    GT XT Hunter 5575 - 27.25 carbon 2 carbon - 100g tip
    Trufire 3D Hunter release w/ D-Loop
    Limbdriver rest
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

By GT arrow chart you should be shooting the 7595,not the 5575's.
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I read the charts as being right in between the 2. I've read guy go both ways with this and read somewhere in the mafia that the Aliens tend to like the slightly less stiff arrows. I don't have a program that would crunch the numbers on them. I just did some shooting after pulling the string silencers off and it feels a touch more consistent, it just seems strange that the center of the arrow is that close to the riser and the pins are that far out. But if that is how these tune, no problem. Just want to know if that is normal.

I could look into getting a .340 but would need to make a trade or sell the 11 XTs I have before doing so. If I don't need the .340s I would rather not go through the hassle right now. If I put any more money into archery stuff, sometime soon I might find my stuff out in the yard!

Post Thanks / Like

I think it would be normal under the circumstances for your setup. If you haven't already, read up on archer's paradox. It helps to explain why your sight pins would be off center depending on the proper spine of your arrows.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, I don't necessarily expect them to be inline - just feels like they might be further out to the left than I would think. Looking at the image there, I never had any shots that went far right, so I would think the spine range is correct. This bow just might tune like that and that's how it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it's normal with center shot 7/8" your sight pins will be to the left of string,mine is the same way.Crackers did some extensive testing and calaberated with martin about this.
    Plenty of post about this in Alien mafia files..........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedykills View Post
    Yes it's normal with center shot 7/8" your sight pins will be to the left of string,mine is the same way.Crackers did some extensive testing and calaberated with martin about this.
    Plenty of post about this in Alien mafia files..........
    Ok good. I was hoping I wasn't crazy, I remember seeing it in there somewhere. I know Jim has said 7/8-1" is the best starting point for the X and Nemesis.

Post Thanks / Like

its normal for your pins to be left of the center of your arrow, i think it's an eye thing! all my bows are that way.if it is hitting what you are aiming at you are set to go!
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,

Post Thanks / Like

.400 spine at 70# / 29.5 DL with an AX is too weak.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    .400 spine at 70# / 29.5 DL with an AX is too weak.
    Better if I back it out a turn to turn/half? If everything is shooting proper I'd like to stick with what I got, lot of money invested so far into the arrows and gonna be a royal beyotch getting something different. I did think about going with a .340 or .350 before, but was told I should be good with the 5575s

At the same time if I'll ultimately be better off with a stiffer spine and someone is will to do a swap/buy give me a holler. I got 11 XT Hunter (smacked one yesterday at 30 and broke it) 27.25 carbon to carbon with very few shots on each shaft, some have been shot less than 10 times - standard GT nocks. Fletched with Predator vanes - some need to be refletched, had some vanes tear off shooting - I can prep and do that if need.