Thread: Mathews guy, switching to Martin, need some recommendations...

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mathews guy, switching to Martin, need some recommendations...

Hi guys,

Been a Mathews guy for years however I've decided to give Martin a try. I am really struggling with which bow to go with though. As with most guys, I'm looking for the perfect combination of speed, smooth, quiet, accurate, and forgiving. I guess if I had to put my priorities in order they'd be this:

#1 smooth
    #2 quiet
    #3 accurate
    #4 speed
    #5 forgiving

I'm 5'9 with around a 27" draw. So what do you guy suggest?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Shank

Post Thanks / Like

Default Switching

Shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. Martin Archery does offer a lot. And offer a lot of what you are looking for, all in the same bow. Each person can be as different as night and day. Own the same bow and set it up two different ways. May feal different. Arrow weight can absorb a lot. The rest can be loud. Man, that is what I love about archery. You can make it your own. If you know people with them, shoot one. Or find a dealer that wont push a brand on you. And will let you test drive one until you decided. When you find the right one, you will know. Good luck and happy hunting.
    2010 Cheetah Mag. 64# NAP QuickTime 360 rest. Apex 3 pin w/light. Gold Tip 5575 Exposition Hunter arrows. 100grn Trophy Ridge Hammerheads, Six Shooter quiver, Trueball Copperhead release.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Longshank View Post
    Hi guys,

Been a Mathews guy for years however I've decided to give Martin a try. I am really struggling with which bow to go with though. As with most guys, I'm looking for the perfect combination of speed, smooth, quiet, accurate, and forgiving. I guess if I had to put my priorities in order they'd be this:

#1 smooth
    #2 quiet
    #3 accurate
    #4 speed
    #5 forgiving

I'm 5'9 with around a 27" draw. So what do you guy suggest?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Shank
    Welcome to the forum, The best suggestion is to go to a shop and shoot them. Too many variables. They have a lot of nice bows single cams or 2 cam bows but its hard to recommend since they all shoot different. Rytera alien xt is a great bow to me but might not work for you. Too many choices but Onza III and the Pantera have made a good hit on here. As well as the whole Rytera line.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

1st. Welcome
    2nd. What took you so long to come to your senses
    3rd. Single/Dual Cam?

Onza is what initially came to mind when reading your post. A Nemesis would do the trick from Rytera. The new Pantera has seen a lot of good action and review with the Fury XT cam and there are a bunch of guys that have the Firecats/Cougars that love those too. I have an 07 Cheetah, a 10 Alien X and lucky to have a 12 Bengal Pro coming soon.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum,Shank. Judging by your list of priorities,I can see why want to get rid of Mathews. Doh,J/K...? Anyway,what you are looking for won't be hard to find in a Martin. What Mathews are you shooting? Did you like that ata length or do you want something longer? Maybe shorter? What are your main purposes for the bow? Hunting? Target? Just a few more questions for you to take into consideration. Good luck choosing and let us know. Martin Tech Forum man-law dictates pics when you get your new toy. If you need a hand posting pics,Brad(ArrowSplitter) is good at posting pics. lol. Or PM me and I can help you out,too.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!. Like the others fellas have stated. What will you be primarily using it for?. Tree stand / ground blind hunters generally like shorter ATA bows for narrow spaces. I myself like medium to long ata bows. I don't tree stand hunt and I don't like ground blinds. I find medium to long ATA bows to be more forgiving. Brace height also matters to me. The best thing to do is find a Martin dealer and test shoot a couple bows. You'll know the right one when you shoot it. Just my two cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Longshank!

I'm with everyone else. You'll have to do some shooting before your purchase, which I'm sure won't be a problem.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Talking For what you want go for the nitro cams instead of the fury cam.

The back valley of the fury cam is a little ruff if you are not used to it. I have shot the bengal and the scepter, the nitro cams are
    much more smooth. I would get a Cougar FC if your looking for a hunting bow. If a Target bow go with the scepter I love mine.

Enjoy your Martin