Thread: A father needs to gloat!.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool A father needs to gloat!.

My son Gabriel just passed Hunters education and safety!. My wife and I took him to Cabela's last week and had him hold a Remington Youth Model .243 rifle and scope combo. Then told him when he passed the class he will get one of these. It worked!. He wanted to bow hunt like Daddy but he cannot safely pull and hold the minimum 40 pounds required in Washington. We are working on that part for next year. I have my eye's on a Savage Axis Youth model rifle. I'll buy a Vortex Scope for it, I hear great things about Vortex optics.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! That is a proud moment my daughter just passed her firearms exam two weeks ago she already is telling me which of my deerstands she will be using! Have fun!
    2013 Martin Onza XT
    NAP Apache Rest
    Trophy Ridge 3pin Cypher Sight
    NAP Apache Stabilizer
    Kwikee Kwik 3 Kwiver

2010 Martin Bone Hunter
    QAD Ultra rest LD
    AXT Pro 30 3 pin sight
    Bow String Depot Custom String Set
    5" Octane Ultralite stabilizer
    Octane Deadlock Lite Quiver

Truball stinger release
    CX Heart Attack 350
    100g Rocket Hammerheads

60% of the time it works every time!

WWW.shorewindshuntingfarm.com

Post Thanks / Like

A big congrats to your son for passing Hunter's ED! I hope he gets a deer next season.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Your hunting career is abou to experience a complete change--for the better. Congrats to th son.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

very nice, that's awesome. Hoping my daughter will get serious about it soon as well. Good luck to both of you this year! I know that some of my fondest memories are of hunting with my dad, I wish you both the best.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all. I've had him out with me while I was scouting and hunting. I've also taken him out with me while recovering my deer. I gave him tips on tracking. I usually take him to the spot where I was standing then point in the direction and give him a yardage on where the deer was when I shot it and tell him to find my deer. LOL. He's gotten better every year. Spotting blood on different types of surfaces including vegetation, Tracking prints, more importantly...knowing when to back out and not push a wounded critter. Little Double S is doing well. I'm hoping to have him out this fall for Youth rifle. He is 11.

One thing I never done was push him to hunt. He's been with me since he was 7 while I help assist teach hunters ed to other youths and adults new hunters. He practically has the book and all instructional video's memorized. He decided that he was ready to take the test. Maybe putting the rifle in his hands while at Cabelas triggered it. LOL
    Last edited by Double S; 03-31-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Congrats DS on the new huntin partner, kinna did similar thing with my son , getting liesence ,tracking , ect, ,and I can tell u after 15 years of hunting together they have been some of the most memorable moments of my life ,and Iam sure my sons ,BTW u cant go wrong with a savage , and the axis is a great starter rifle , not to be partial , but give those nikon pro staffs a peek ,a lot of scope for the cash Happy Hunting to u both!