Thread: Removing strings from martin?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Removing strings from martin?

Hello, i have been hearing some talk on this site and some people are saying that you can remove the strings on martins without a bowpress, i heard you can back it down like 8 turns the take em off is this true? are there any risks? and failure before? my martin is 35-50lbs so it seems like it would be even easier
    cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitAssasin View Post
    Hello, i have been hearing some talk on this site and some people are saying that you can remove the strings on martins without a bowpress, i heard you can back it down like 8 turns the take em off is this true? are there any risks? and failure before? my martin is 35-50lbs so it seems like it would be even easier
    cheers
    welcome to the forum.yep its all true.it does take a few more turns then 8 but none the less a guy can back out the limb bolts to remove the string or to do anykind of work that may need done.the only risk would be if you did not know how to put the bow back together if you dropped it after backing the limb bolts out enough to take it down.other then that i have takin my bengal down to replace nylon washers and e-clips,clean up,limb and general inspection befor huntin season starts kind of thing.

Post Thanks / Like

When backing it out, keep an eye on the barrel nut where the limb bolt screws into. Once you can see light through the nut, you should have enough tension off to swap them out. I have done it on my Cheetah and Alien X. Just take 2-3 turns out at a time top and bottom / alternate and look for the space. Make sure you keep a total count on how many turns so you can put that same amount back in. Also recommend taking pictures of the cams to make sure you know how the strings/cables route so you don't run into problems when changing them. It's really easy to forget if you haven't done them much before and don't take the pictures ... speaking from personal experience.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation No Bow Press.

It is possible to unstring a Martin without a press. However if you dont know what your doing
    I would take it to a shop. Better to let someone who knows what there doing work on it then
    destroy a perfectly good Martin.

Just a precaution.