Thread: Yet another form question?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yet another form question?

Ok guys at a glance what do I need to work on other than my wardrobe? My bow hand looks to be tight but really its not.
    100_0459.jpg
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

Ther are far better coaches than me on here, but the first thing that really stands out to me is your draw arm. It should be parrallel with your arrow and bow arm. It looks like you are dropping your elbow pretty low, and that might be a sign of needing to shorten your draw length a little. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will pitch in, but that's what stands out the most to me.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    Ther are far better coaches than me on here, but the first thing that really stands out to me is your draw arm. It should be parrallel with your arrow and bow arm. It looks like you are dropping your elbow pretty low, and that might be a sign of needing to shorten your draw length a little. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will pitch in, but that's what stands out the most to me.
    Don't under estimate yourself Ehunter. I'm not a "pro" either, but you're right on.

@Thermodude I think your draw is about a 1/2" to an 1" too long. Another sign of this is that your bow arm is fully extended.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow Splitter View Post
    Don't under estimate yourself Ehunter. I'm not a "pro" either, but you're right on.

@Thermodude I think your draw is about a 1/2" to an 1" too long. Another sign of this is that your bow arm is fully extended.

A.S
    Thanks for the advice guys, Ive been working with back tension release, Im not as far out as the pic shows, this is after about 50 plus shots.........
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/...t-Anchor-point when you correct this your draw length will be shorter and release arm will strighten up with the arrow......

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again guys, I didnt realize I had extended that far. Ill make the adjustment tonight!
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

Nice thing about these bows today is that you can make adjustments and if they don't work you can always change back. That being said your form isn't terrrible, but you might make a couple changes.

The bow arm being one of them. You need to shorten the bow's draw length about 1" and try that for a while. Raise the right elbow which should straighten the arm more in line with the arrow. There should be no bend in the wrist. I am assuming that you draw the bow with the drawing arm low and come up to your anchor at full draw. If so then try changing to drawing with the elbow higher to start with. Drawing from a lower elbow causes you to use arm and shoulder muscles more whereas drawing with a higher elbow causes the back muscles to engage earlier in the draw cycle. Having to draw with a lower drawing arm is often a sign of the draw weight being too high so consider this.

The length of the release looks OK. The wrist strap looks to be a little tight. Try loosing it up. Now the bowhand and arm. Although the bow arm looks extended it doesn't appear to be over extended so I don't know if I'd change it. I'm not an advocate of the bent shooting arm as it does bring muscles into the holding pattern which makes for tired muscles and unsteadiness.

The bow hand is too vertical with too much of your palm on the grip section of the bow, called heeling the bow. This can cause more pressure on the lower part of the bow's grip with the result being occasional high shots. Try rotating the bowhand out and at about a forty degree angle with just the meaty part of the thumb into the bow's grip. The fingers are not tight so you aren't gripping the bow tight----good.

Try these thingss for starters, shoot for about a week to let the muscles readjust and see how it feels. Then post new pics.

Lastly? Keep asking dumb questions and we'll have you all messed up. LOL.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver