Thread: Lighted Nock Conundrum

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lighted Nock Conundrum

I have been fascinated with the technology and concept. I have also cringed at the thought of adding weight to the wrong end of the shaft and messing up FOC. The other issue I mentally wrestle with was how many expensive nocks would get destroyed while getting comfortable with the new arrow.

I was messing around in the shop this morning fletching some arrows for a friend when I had one of those moments!

Nockturnal nocks are said to be 20g. I took a GT Accu-lite nock, put it on the scale and started dropping #8.5 lead shot pellets onto the pan with the nock. Roughly 16 pellets later and a little glue to hold them in and I now have my "practice" 20g nocks.
    Now for the FOC problem since I seemed to be in one of those creative moments. My hunting arrows are fairly standard fair, 27.5 inches of carbon, GT insert, GT nock, 3 blazers or VaneTec HPs, and a 85g slick trick for 11+% FOC.

Hmmm, I thought, what if I swapped out the Blazers for these cool Gateway Rayzr feathers my friend bought? Well, I had try out the nocks, right? I cut the blazers off three arrows and fletched them with the feathers and added the weighted nocks... THEY SHOT and grouped PERFECT!!!!!! I'm thrilled!
    Here is the math.
    3 blazer's, 6g or 18g; and 8.6g for the std nock and we are at 26.6g
    3 Rayzr's, 1.8g or 5.4g; and 20g for the loaded nock and we are at 25.4g
    My setup does not know the difference.

I hope this helps someone as I have wrestled with this for longer than I want to admit.

Post Thanks / Like

You could probably go to a 100g head and have it balance out if you choose. Also with the nocks and worry about breaking them, don't shoot groups. I have had to stop doing this - I bust up accu-lites way too much. Shot 1 group this morning and busted another. It's cool that you found something that works though, pretty crafty.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default more...

I found a new little thing which might help with these nockturnal nocks. A little cellophane tape, very small, over the cocking hole will keep rain water and blood from getting in the cocking hole. I put one through a water jug today and it worked good!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

i shoot a red nocturnal for easton x nocks. I do not practice with it. it stays in a case. i will break out the nock and shoot it a couple of times when its time to hunt thats about it. i have noticed no difference in flight pattern. i would never shoot at an animal over 40 yds anyway, it may hit 1nch lowe at the most low at 40yds. i shoot easton axis 340s. i own one nock just for my first shot arrow thats it. i dont know how long the batttery is supposed to last for but im not taking a chance at it. My feathers are also fletched with feathers so maybe that helps with teh weight issue already. One fact that i do know about lighted nocks, nocturnal are lighter than lumenok. however, nocturnal can sometimes be a pain to turn the light back off as it has a tiny hole you have to stick something into and wedge it into the off position. i believe the lumenok simply just turns and its off.

Post Thanks / Like

Somebody needs to figure out how to put the battery in the front of the shaft!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bbjavelina View Post
    Somebody needs to figure out how to put the battery in the front of the shaft!
    Better yet, and this came from my professional coach some 35 years ago; the best shots you'll ever make will be those where you don't see the arrow go. In other words aim the bow and follow through. Concentrate on where the pin is at the moment of release as that's where the arrow should be.

It would also make each arrow about $10 cheaper.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I think they are cool and all, but I dont know that I would ever shoot them myself. I like them for when watching video and seeing the shot placement, but I think I would get too hung up on that. That and they throw off arrow balance and I don't want to get into the headache of counter weighting to keep everything the same.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been playing with the neon flo green Fusion vanes over a white arrow wrap...........they gather alot of light at dusk and dawn, they will be on my arrows this fall!!
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35