Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow Jax / LimbSavers - Limb Dampeners

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bow Jax / LimbSavers - Limb Dampeners

Do you guys feel these are necessary in your set-ups? So far I have had LimbSavers on all of my bows and have yet to purchase a set for the Bengal. Debating doing so in general, but in between the BowJax and the LS Ultra Quads. Not that I'm obsessed with speed, but I have read that they will rob you a little and if you aren't having much vibration/noise then they wouldn't really be necessary, no? Just wondering what everyone thinks.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using the Limbsaver products on my setups for noise & vibration control. They do make a difference and that is more important to me than loosing 5-10 fps.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJsEtFtpF8c
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THcg-u2GlYo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNb9F9kBiWI
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    Do you guys feel these are necessary in your set-ups? So far I have had LimbSavers on all of my bows and have yet to purchase a set for the Bengal. Debating doing so in general, but in between the BowJax and the LS Ultra Quads. Not that I'm obsessed with speed, but I have read that they will rob you a little and if you aren't having much vibration/noise then they wouldn't really be necessary, no? Just wondering what everyone thinks.
    I feel that the bow will tell you what it needs. No, all bows dont need vibration dampening but when you have one you know it. Ive used limbsaver products for many years with very good results. I do agree that over the years Ive become a creature of habit and sometimes apply them when they really arent needed, but I attribute that to being hard headed I guess!! A major part of my job is vibration data collection and analysis, I do this everyday. I guess its second nature for me to look for vibration and correct it. Im not one to load my cables and shooting strings with dampeners, over the years Ive had very few bows that really needed them. If I had to pick one item that I feel makes the biggest contributuon to vibration dampening it would have to be a high quality string stop.
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

I also use limbsaver products and have had alot of success i have not used bowjax so i cant say much about that but i my string i use good old cat whiskers and they do a great job!
    2013 Martin Onza XT
    NAP Apache Rest
    Trophy Ridge 3pin Cypher Sight
    NAP Apache Stabilizer
    Kwikee Kwik 3 Kwiver
    Truball stinger release
    CX Heart Attack 350
    100g Rocket Hammerheads

Bow String Depot

60% of the time it works every time!

WWW.shorewindshuntingfarm.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have scientific data Although I do not remember exact values and do not currently have access to the data.

I tested both noise level and speed with Bowjax Slipjax string dampeners with my Onza 3 as part of my Hoyt CRX comparison test. Shooting noise was reduced by several decibels but speed was not reduced at all (measured the speed before & after). You could CLEARLY hear the difference in shooting noise and the precision decibel meter confirmed this. I installed the Slipjax dampeners as close to the cams as possible.

I later attached Bowjax Monsterjax dampeners to the limbs, but I did not make any measurements and it was hard to detect any difference since the string silencers had already done their job so well. The string silencers made a huge difference, anyway. I highly recommend them.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

Chances are greater than not that I will end up putting some on the limbs regardless if it needs it or not. Just one extra "piece of mind" thing I guess. Any extra vibration and sound dampening can't hurt. I agree with what you guys have said about the STS - that made a world of difference when I put on one my Cheetah. I am also a big believer in Whiskers, while I don't have anything on my Alien string right now, the bow feels pretty quiet as is. I know whiskers will really hush it up, so I still might look into a set for it. I have some leeches and some of the truglo string bats (similar to the slipjax), but haven't used them.

Post Thanks / Like

Speed is the biggest factor in noise. Take a 30/30 and a 3006 both shooting a 150 grain bullet and compare the noise level. Take your bow, whatever poundage you shoot and shoot two arrows the first the lightest IBO and the second a 50-70 grain heavier arrow and you will hear a marked difference. The easiest way to quiet your rig is simply shoot a heavier arrow. I have abandonded most all the junk to try to quiet my bows and just shoot a heavy arrow 420 grns out of a 50lb bow. The only thing I might consider is some whiskers cut in half to make smaller bunches, oh by the way guess what this does, it SLOWS your string down. I find I enjoy my bows much more keeping them light an uncluttered and they shoot just as well as when I had a 8' 2x4 strapped to the front for a stabilizer.

Post Thanks / Like

My 2 cents; For me, I'm a true believer that the Limb Saver and or Bowjax helps with vibration/noise, this helps with shot placement and follow though. I have always used Limb Save and have them on my Fire Cat and Cougar, I just placed the Bowjax on my 2012 Pantera and they works just as well. I changed from the STS to the Mac Daddy string stop and what a difference. The Mac Daddy is smooth and reduce sting vibration ten folds what the STS was doing. I had a 2009 Pantera that blew-up two set of Limbs. I placed Limb Savers on, didn't have any issue after that. In say that, I believe the Limbs were the older Limbs before the Power Tough came out. I guess it comes down to what feels good for the shooter, what habits' and set up you feel best with. I will stay with limb Savers as they fit better in a bow rack/clamps. The Limb Saver is smaller then the Bowjax's and fit a little bit better when using bow rack/clamps for ridding ATV/UTV. Sounds like the new bow has a good home.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob cooly View Post
    Speed is the biggest factor in noise. Take a 30/30 and a 3006 both shooting a 150 grain bullet and compare the noise level. Take your bow, whatever poundage you shoot and shoot two arrows the first the lightest IBO and the second a 50-70 grain heavier arrow and you will hear a marked difference. The easiest way to quiet your rig is simply shoot a heavier arrow. I have abandonded most all the junk to try to quiet my bows and just shoot a heavy arrow 420 grns out of a 50lb bow. The only thing I might consider is some whiskers cut in half to make smaller bunches, oh by the way guess what this does, it SLOWS your string down. I find I enjoy my bows much more keeping them light an uncluttered and they shoot just as well as when I had a 8' 2x4 strapped to the front for a stabilizer.
    Well aware And for the heavier arrow, I agree. I was shooting a 340gr out of my Cheetah last fall and that was closer to 64ish# but that bow is quiet as heck as is. I've moved up to a heavier arrow around 370-375 - don't have a scale so I'm just guessing based on what Gold Tip arrow builder says and I'll be shooting around 65ish again with my Alien and Bengal. It is hard to know exactly how quiet the bow is, because they always feel loud to me when I'm shooting and the only person I trust to shoot my bows aside from me is my dad. Haven't had him fire the Alien yet, but a guy at the range this past weekend said it sounded pretty quiet and that is with nothing on the string and limb savers on the limbs. I'm pretty sure that stopper has the MacDaddy on it, it isn't one of the original 4 way stoppers, so I'm guessing the guy I purchased it from put it on there. It's pretty soft. I also have one of the Limb Saver bumpers that I think I'll be putting on the Carbon STS that is on the Bengal. The Bengal comes from the factory with the bowjax type dampeners on the string anyway, so I'll see how those go, chances are I'll just leave them alone until they tear and then consider whiskers or see how it sounds without.

It's fun to really investigate what all of these products really can do and just so it's clear sound > speed for me. Although any extra speed I can get is always a plus, but don't want to sacrifice noise for it if I don't have to

Post Thanks / Like

Total concur with the arrow weight, I shoot 420g Axis End Fussed Easton and can tell the benefit of the added weight. The Mac Daddy was a little lose with the Carbon's 3/8" STS and had to use a little electrical tape with the 3/8 shaft. Works great. The stock sting dampener only last a short time on my Pantera and prefers no string dampeners as the best set up is the Limb Saver and NAP apache stabilizer with the Mac Daddy string stop.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator