Thread: My sons first Hunting rifle!. Savage Model 10 Youth

Post Thanks / Like

Default My sons first Hunting rifle!. Savage Model 10 Youth

My son was sure surprised today when he came home from school and found a black case on the table!. His gift from Mom and Dad for passing Hunters Ed and having A's and B's in school!. A new Savage Model 10 Youth rifle in .243 with a Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 scope. I was thinking about purchasing the Axis Youth model but it didn't have the Accutrigger. The Model 10 youth did. We browsed a few gun shops and handled a Savage 11 youth and a couple Remington Youth models. When we got a hold of this rifle, our shopping was over. The look, the feel was great and it didn't look "Plastic" like some of the rest of them did. We got the rifle at a good price, It had a ding in the stock on the left side near the action. I'll steam most of it out later on. We ran over to another Store and I purchased a Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 scope and some rings and mounts for it and the store set it up for us at no cost. I heard great things about Vortex Optics from ArcheryTalk so I had to make the optics switch. The scope is well built and clear!. I'm hoping to sight it in tomorrow if the weather complies. My son didn't know about it until he arrived home from school and saw the hard case on the table. He is on Cloud 9 right now.

Senior Member Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good looking savage! great gun to start with. Good job Double S.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bill. I took it to the range earlier and bore sighted it. It took around 10 shots to get in sighted in to 100 yards. The scope is clear and adjusts easily and the rifle is smooth and fun to shoot. Great for a 11 year old. Savage has a deal..if you buy a youth rifle, you have up to 5 years to buy an adult stock at 50% off the regular price which is around 67 bucks. I'm gonna buy it next month and put it away for safe keeping. The BDC on the reticle is great. I took a single shot on a metal Ram target at 234 yards and nailed it right where I was aiming. The weather was turning ugly so i called it off for the day. I need to buy more ammo. Now i want a similar Savage in .270!.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Good looking savage! great gun to start with. Good job Double S.

Hutch

Senior Member Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double S View Post
    Thanks Bill. I took it to the range earlier and bore sighted it. It took around 10 shots to get in sighted in to 100 yards. The scope is clear and adjusts easily and the rifle is smooth and fun to shoot. Great for a 11 year old. Savage has a deal..if you buy a youth rifle, you have up to 5 years to buy an adult stock at 50% off the regular price which is around 67 bucks. I'm gonna buy it next month and put it away for safe keeping. The BDC on the reticle is great. I took a single shot on a metal Ram target at 234 yards and nailed it right where I was aiming. The weather was turning ugly so i called it off for the day. I need to buy more ammo. Now i want a similar Savage in .270!.
    That's a savage for ya. accurate and with the right scope even more so.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Great choice [s] good lookin son ! looks like hes got that first hunt look !!!!!!!!!!should be a time to remember, 243 is a great starter, let alone a savage great rifle, hope that first hunt or the ones to come r Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

h380 43 grs 85 grn hps can swap out the hps for sps is the load my dad shoots out of his 243 shooting almost through 1 inch steel plate
    2010 Rytera Nemesis. 63lbs/29dl 292 fps 384gr arrow. Sword 6 pin sight

Post Thanks / Like

BTW it is the max load my dad shoots and the recoil is almost non existent

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the kind words. Thanks for the info Red on the numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a prob Dub