Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couger FC?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Couger FC?

Im curious, Ive never shot the Couger FC and was wondering how it compares to The Onza III when both are shot using the Nitro cams? I know it has a shorter ATA I was just curious about performance and how it felt in hand campared to the Onza..................anyone?
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

I had a really hard time deciding between the two when I got the Onza. They shoot very very similar, the Onza felt just a little more solid. They both had just a little bit of vibration in the riser, and the Cougar is slightly faster (shorter ATA and brace attribute to that). However I liked the balance of the Onza and felt that with the longer brace and ATA it would be more forgiving (although they are both tac drivers, and shoot better than I do). The Onza is also definitely heavier.

The only issue I've had with the Onza, is that some rests don't work well with it because of the limited room between the shelf and the bridge.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

I've shot the 2011 Onza III and the Fire Cat 400 2011 side by side and went with the Fire Cat which specs out close to the Cougar Pro w/ Nitro Cams. Both bows had the TRG and SOS when I shot them side by side, I ordered the Fire Cat it came in with the STS system not TRG. Which I'm glade it did come in with the STS, you can't go wrong with the cable and side rig. I like the Fire Cat as it just felt better to me and was lighter. I also have the Pantera 2012 and love it; all I can say is 34 A2A is accurate, fast. I can testify that the Fury Cam is just a little bit harsher on draw then the Nitro Cams but still prefer the Pantera for my style of hunting & shooting. Spot and stock and or tree stand depending on time of day and animal activity. TRG and SOS have some issues if you read others that had trends on the Form regarding TRG and SOS. Hope this helps.

Pantera, Pantera, Pantera...
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2014 Mathews Creed
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    I had a really hard time deciding between the two when I got the Onza. They shoot very very similar, the Onza felt just a little more solid. They both had just a little bit of vibration in the riser, and the Cougar is slightly faster (shorter ATA and brace attribute to that). However I liked the balance of the Onza and felt that with the longer brace and ATA it would be more forgiving (although they are both tac drivers, and shoot better than I do). The Onza is also definitely heavier.

The only issue I've had with the Onza, is that some rests don't work well with it because of the limited room between the shelf and the bridge.
    Thanks for the replies guys, my Onza shoots great but just felt that with the same cams that the two bows had to compare pretty close to each other. The ATA is ah little to short for me with the Couger, the 33-1/4 of the Onza is about as short as I want to go. As for the problems trying to find a rest that fits Ive been down that road also. Im in the process of switching from an Octane Tripwire to a G5 Expert Pro.
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

no worries!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

I you look you might be able to find a Rytera Nemisis which is 3/4" longer than the Onza. It's more money but that the price for the fancy machining, a piece of art if you ask me. There's also the Alien Z at 36" and a dream to shoot. I have one of each and just can't make up my mind if I'm going to keep them both or which one to replace---and with what?

Wabbit was right about one thing though. Put on a blind fold and draw them both and you won't be able to tell the difference other than the extra mass weight of the Onza.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I you look you might be able to find a Rytera Nemisis which is 3/4" longer than the Onza. It's more money but that the price for the fancy machining, a piece of art if you ask me. There's also the Alien Z at 36" and a dream to shoot. I have one of each and just can't make up my mind if I'm going to keep them both or which one to replace---and with what?

Wabbit was right about one thing though. Put on a blind fold and draw them both and you won't be able to tell the difference other than the extra mass weight of the Onza.
    Thats a very good call! A Rytera is for sure in my future..........everytime someone posts a new pic of one it drives me nuts!!!
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

Well then, check out the "Pics of my Ryteras" in the photo section. Then drool.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thermodude View Post
    Im curious, Ive never shot the Couger FC and was wondering how it compares to The Onza III when both are shot using the Nitro cams? I know it has a shorter ATA I was just curious about performance and how it felt in hand campared to the Onza..................anyone?
    i shot the onza III and the cougar with both nitro cams. Myself i had thought the onza had a little more vibration(could have been just me,i won't knock it) I did however order and recieved the 2012 cougar fc with nitros and i couldnt be any more happier. I love it. I am 5'7" and only shoot 55# 27" dw.. the bow is so smooth, a little lighter i thought and a little cheaper. I was in the same boat you are in,onza or cougar. it was a hard decision.. hey, get both,Lol..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thermodude View Post
    Thats a very good call! A Rytera is for sure in my future..........everytime someone posts a new pic of one it drives me nuts!!!
    That is how I ended up with mine Part of me wishes I would have gone after an Onza, but good lord is the Alien just awesome to look at let alone shoot.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff