Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow identification

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bow identification

Wow I just wrote a long post and it got lost somewhere in cyberspace.
    So I have a bow that I got for a tip from a man by the name of Jeff Shimazou. spelling error I am sure. I was actually guiding him and Thee Gail Martin on an elk hunt in Montana.
    I think he said it was a jaguar bow.
    Most id info of any kind has been painted over.
    It has sat since 1984. Last year my son was old enough to pull it back and he did. A cable attachment broke to pieces. Not sure why.

The only id is on a limb.

Where do I start to look for parts? What is this bow worth? How does it compare to new technology?
    Any upgrades you would suggest? Are there any? Do they still have parts available? Can they be made?
    Any info would be appreciated.
    My son is really getting interested in bow hunting. Keeping the local exploding snowshoe hare population trimmed down and ready to move onto a spring bear.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Len

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum! That is a sweet lookin old bow! I'm sure some of the "ahem" older, more experienced members here will be able to get you some info. However, you may want to just call Martin directly and talk to Joel, he would have the info on parts availability for you. Good luck and good shooting!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Default got a hold of Martin archery

Joel returned my call and is finding out what and if they have what I need.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum. Because your a new member Spam guard thought you might be a Spammer because you added a photo link. It's just protection for the site. Looks like your pics made it on this thread. Joel will have the answers.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one for you. www.archeryhistory.com. Click on compound bows. Then click on 1980-1989. About half way down th page there is a little insert in the middle of the page entitled 1983 Martin bows. It's an insert from the catalog. The Jag is the one on the left with the green riser.

I doubt that parts would be available, but you never know what Joel might find in the bottom of his magical barrel.

I also saw a couple bows that I owned back then. 1981 Pearson Ambusher. Under 1970-1979 look for the Jennings wood handle compounds, 1977 Jennings Arrowstar, 1977 PSE Presidential Citation. Scroll on down and you'll see Olympus (both models). Notice on most the four wheels and no cable guard; no cam lean.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

i have both the yolk calbes and steel calbes in stock need to know if they use the small calbes

Post Thanks / Like

Default cables

Quote Originally Posted by tvs View Post
    i have both the yolk calbes and steel calbes in stock need to know if they use the small calbes
    Not sure what you mean by small cables? Do you want me to measure them? What would you need from me?

Post Thanks / Like

Are those old Fury cams? I didn't think they started making them till the mid 90s. I am not an ancient archer lol but as wysrabbit said, a more experienced member? Ok Maybe a tad older I admit.

That pic brings back the days where $250 dollars bought you a top of the line bow and $150 got you a good middle of the road bow. And ah them big fat cast risers. And a light bow weighed 4.5 to 5 lbs. And 200-220 fps was screaming fast. And my first bow, a Bear Magnum Hunter, had 40% letoff. And everyone had Cat whiskers (or shredded inner tube for us poor folks) stuck between strands for string silencers. We all shot too long a draw length. XX75s were the order of the day and American Eagles would bend if they hit a clod of dirt. You could change a string by standing on the string and pulling up on the handle then repeating to remove the old string. Most of us had never heard of a peep sight. All but one of us in our group used a glove or finger tab. Bowhunters Discount Warehouse in Wellsville PA was the main place to buy your stuff. You could make extra sight pins for your sight by rolling a 3/32" stud on a grinding wheel to make a pint dot then securing it to your sight frame with small nuts and lockwashers. Most sights didn't have a pin guard. Almost all sight pins (and pin guards where available) were finger adjustable with knurled finger nuts and wave washers. Everyone was shooting a bear weather rest, flipper 2 rest, or springy rest. Anything else just didn't count.

Man this is the most fun I have had for a while. How about I leave it at this and give other "senior" ,ah hem, more experienced members a chance to add to the list.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of Bowhunter's Warehouse, I personally knew the guy that started that business--Fred Hues (spelling). His first store was only a mile from my house. He built the present building to be closer to home and that's 25 miles from me, but not the busniess it was when he had it.

One thing though. Contrary to what you said I have always had a peep sight. Yes, shot finger and XX75.Then graduated to X7 for field shooting. I was paying $21.00 for dozen XX75 shafts. My best bow back then was a 1877 Jenning Arrowstar target bow that cost me a whopping $275, so you're pretty close on price.

Yeah, those were the days.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Default whoops

Quote Originally Posted by cmwr View Post
    Are those old Fury cams? I didn't think they started making them till the mid 90s. I am not an ancient archer lol but as wysrabbit said, a more experienced member? Ok Maybe a tad older I admit.

That pic brings back the days where $250 dollars bought you a top of the line bow and $150 got you a good middle of the road bow. And ah them big fat cast risers. And a light bow weighed 4.5 to 5 lbs. And 200-220 fps was screaming fast. And my first bow, a Bear Magnum Hunter, had 40% letoff. And everyone had Cat whiskers (or shredded inner tube for us poor folks) stuck between strands for string silencers. We all shot too long a draw length. XX75s were the order of the day and American Eagles would bend if they hit a clod of dirt. You could change a string by standing on the string and pulling up on the handle then repeating to remove the old string. Most of us had never heard of a peep sight. All but one of us in our group used a glove or finger tab. Bowhunters Discount Warehouse in Wellsville PA was the main place to buy your stuff. You could make extra sight pins for your sight by rolling a 3/32" stud on a grinding wheel to make a pint dot then securing it to your sight frame with small nuts and lockwashers. Most sights didn't have a pin guard. Almost all sight pins (and pin guards where available) were finger adjustable with knurled finger nuts and wave washers. Everyone was shooting a bear weather rest, flipper 2 rest, or springy rest. Anything else just didn't count.

Man this is the most fun I have had for a while. How about I leave it at this and give other "senior" ,ah hem, more experienced members a chance to add to the list.
    So are you saying that I may be a tad bid happier with a new technology bow? Mine looks so cool? ;0)