Thread: Warthog

Post Thanks / Like

Default Warthog

I'm looking at an 09 Warthog and was looking for input on this bow. Has the CAT 2 cams and a 35"ata. Advertised speed is 350? All opinions welcome.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nice stick flinger

The 09 Warthog was a beast of a bow, the 350 ibo was a typo and will not be a realistic number but it is a fast bow. The limbs in 09 were kind of iffy so watch that and if you really love it then you could always find some Barnsdale limbs so you wont have that worry in the back of your head. I have seen several 09 Warthogs in the shop with the Alien Barnsdale limbs on them so that is also an option. That was my favorite of the 09 Martins.
    Triple J's
    2011 Firecat 400 GT 5575's // 2013 Alien
    90's PSE 1000c
    Old Bear Whitetail Hunter//Handmade Longbow

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

crap i was hoping that ibo wasnt a typo. you can look back on martins website for the specs of the 09 warthog and sure enough it says 350. oddly enough though, they havent produced a bow since that had a claimed ibo that high. so i guess it legitly was a typo.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Realistic spped

Hey DZ,
    If the Warthog is set up properly for IBO testing, it can very well make the listed IBO speed.....according to the guys at the factory. Mine is not that fast, but then my arrows are heavier, the head that I use is heavier, I use long vanes, etc., etc., etc. Rest assured, though, that the Warthog is a very fast bow.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my delema.
    I have a chance to pick up a 09 Warthog but know nothing about it. My archery guru here says the Warthog was the best bow Martin sold in his opinion. 35" ata, lightning fast, forgiving brace height, and pretty simple. I have found shooting my 360 to be very pleasurable for draw @ 66 pounds, accuracy, and overall weight.

I also shoot my Guardian, which is getting harder to do (pull back). It is at 67 pounds, 34 3/4 ata, twin bianary cams, and noticably heavier. Everyone say's a longer ata bow is more forgiving and accurate but will be a little heavier.

I also found a killer deal on a Silencer & I realize it's nearly identical to the Firecat with the exception of twin Nitro cams. I'm leaning towards the Silencer but not sure of the dual cam 32" ata when I'm starting to have issues with my Guardian. I'd like to find a comfortable back up and possibly bench the Guardian. I love my 360 and finding another in left hand is almost impossible. I could go with a Ridge Hunter but like the the notion of added speed with a dual cam.

Advice, opinions, and comments welcome.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry about the dual Nitro 2.0 cams; they are butter smooth. I would venture to say my dual cam @ 70 is easier to draw than my brother in law's Fury cam Cougar.

When I was shopping for a bow last year, I pulled back at least a dozen bows, and the Nitro 2 cams were hands down the least shoulder-wrenching dual cam setup. Just MHO
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the dual Nitro 2.0 cams; they are butter smooth. I would venture to say my dual cam @ 70 is easier to draw than my brother in law's Fury cam Cougar.

When I was shopping for a bow last year, I pulled back at least a dozen bows, and the Nitro 2 cams were hands down the least shoulder-wrenching dual cam setup. Just MHO
    I don't care for the Fury cam design, haven't pulled one back yet just don't care for the looks of them. Very similar to Diamonds new Throttle Cam which I have shot... super harsh. I did shoot a right hand Silencer last year but honestly don't remember the characteristics.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say give the Warthog a chance, they where real popular bows. Must have been a reason.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Hey NuttyNative,
    I'm a little late in getting back to this thread....probably too late. However, I'd second the opinion that you should give the WartHog a shot. Ever since I had the solid limbs on the bow, I've grown to like it better than any other in my rack or that I've owned over the years. It really isn't harsh, provides great speed at whatever setting you use, and is scary accurate if you do your part. Just a heck of a bow IMO. I'd buy one again.....just wish that they'd bring it back, at least as a namesake.
    Best of luck.....and let us know if you've made your move already.