Thread: DIY B Stinger minus weight

Post Thanks / Like

Default DIY B Stinger minus weight

As the title says I made a couple B stingers. I bought one of those aluminum telescoping Trekking poles in the sporting goods dept at wal mart Yesterday. I used the middle section to build the one in these pics. It is 10.5" long. I used to bigger section to build another that is currently got the JB Weld drying right now. It is 8" long. I haven't decided what to use for a weight although I have some ideas.

I started by using a tubing cutter to cut the pieces to length. Then I filled both tubes with expanding foam being careful to stop before it came out the ends. Just a squirt is all it took. I used a 5/16"X 24X 1 1/2 bolt and nut for the stud. For the middle section (longer one) I had to roll the bolt and nut on the grinding wheel to get it to where it would slip inside the tube. On the biggest section (shorter one) I simply scuffed the bolt and nut up and it fit perfectly inside. The nuts is screwed all the way up to end of the threads so when you slip it inside the tube it holds it level so it doesn't dry at an angle. On the end I threaded 3 1/4X20 nuts on a bolt and snugged them together then I coated with JB Weld and slipped them inside. I had to roll them on the grind wheel to get them to fit inside the middle (longer) piece but on the shorter one I had to to super glue them to a couple 5/16" nuts for a shim.

Total cost breakdown: Trekking Pole $13, Expanding foam $2.50, JB Weld $4, and nuts and bolts $.96 (charged by the lb), weight unknown

DSCF5178.JPG DSCF5177.JPG

DSCF5176.JPG DSCF5175.JPG
    Last edited by cmwr; 04-14-2012 at 07:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

So far so good. I have a friend who is a machinist and he makes his own, too. I can ask him what he uses to make the weights, but let me give you a hint----------hockey puck.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    So far so good. I have a friend who is a machinist and he makes his own, too. I can ask him what he uses to make the weights, but let me give you a hint----------hockey puck.
    hmmm. Thanks for the hint. What is a hockey puck made out of?

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Hockey pucks are solid rubber. Another hockey puck hint...with a 1/2" dril bit, go around the puck in circles and collect the rubber shavings created by the drill bit. Works good for sound dappening stuffing inside stabilizers and silencers for .22's...uh if one were to build one
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340