Thread: Draw length - can a 28 be pulled more?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Draw length - can a 28 be pulled more?

I'm new to bows and I measured my draw length to be around 30".
    Given that most long/flat/recurve bows are spec'd for a weight at 28", does this mean I need to find a bow that's spec'd for a weight at 30 as well, or can I pull a 28 to 30, or does it depend?

I'm looking at the Savannah right now and I don't think I even saw a draw length in the web site specs...just a weight. What do I do in that case?

Post Thanks / Like

The reason you didn't see a drawlength listed is that traditional bows (recurve and longbows) are all spec'd at a 28" draw. If you draw longer then the draw weight increases, usually by about 2# per inch more than the rated weight at 28". The thing to consider with traditional gear is that if you have a long draw then you should also consider choosing a longer bow as it will create less finger pinch at full draw. Also typical is that traditional bows tend to produce more cast (arrow speed) as their length increases.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Yep what he said ^^ the system rates a particular poundage @ 28" that does not mean draw length has to be 28" or under it means by drawing past this rating you will increase draw weight. A good tip is to get you actual draw length and try/order/buy a bow that hit's your target weight. Example: You want a 40# bow but your draw is 29" - look for a 36-38# @ 28 and you will be in the ball park. Length Matters as well, not only for finger pinch like stated above but longer limbs are also more comfortable at full draw. That's been my experience. Pick up a 62" bow rated @ 40 and then a 68" bow rated at 40 and compare how they "feel" even though a scale will confirm them as having the same draw weight.

If you are basing your draw length on what you shot with a compound, you can typically bet on your draw being around 2" shorter with traditional equipment. As far as draw weight, do not buy the same draw weight you are used to if you've been shooting compound. Many people make the mistake of buying too much draw weight initially. This leads to bad form and a multitude of other problems. Being over bowed will ruin your fun. Be honest in your assessment of what draw weight you can comfortably manage.

Coming into traditional has a sharp learning curve, and I hope this information helps you..and welcome to the simple life.
    Last edited by Mo0se; 04-16-2012 at 11:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the informative replies. I think I learned everything I needed and more, and I now have less fear of blindly going about things. I might be in a store this weekend where I can pick up a few and see how they feel, with a lot more insight as to what I'm looking to compare. I never factored in bow length before and will definitely compare some different lengths for feel now.