Thread: Martin Trophy Hunter compound bow -- string slip.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Martin Trophy Hunter compound bow -- string slip.

Two summers ago, I purchased a Martin Trophy Hunter for my father for father's day. I bought the bow because we used to shoot an old Bear compound together and always enjoyed it, but eventually I gave that bow to a friend in the army. The new Martin wasn't shot for a couple months after being purchased, because 1) I bought it about a month before father's day, and 2) it was storming pretty bad the day I gave it to him. Thanks to the time gap (and my own ineptitude), I lost the receipt before ever shooting the bow.

On the first shot, the shooting string slipped off the idler wheel. This somehow caused the arrow to wrap around the front of the bow (carbon fiber), and it more or less shattered in my face, and the arrow tip actually went backwards. We set the bow in one of the barns while I looked for the receipt, but I never found it. I've been wanting to go back and see if I can get it fixed, but as the only other bow I ever shot was the old Bear compound, I am by no means an expert. So a couple questions...

1) How difficult would getting the string back on the idler wheel be? I've only ever restrung a recurve, again, not going to act like I'm more of an expert here than I am. I am a newbie when it comes to compounds.

2) How concerned should I be about the fact that the string came off the wheel on the very first shot? I'm not sure if it was a fluke accident, or if maybe that means one of the wheels is slightly misaligned, or if there's any known common reason to cause that.

I can provide pictures or other additional information on request. I'm hoping someone with more experience can help guide me as to whether it is worth trying to repair this particular bow (and what that may entail), or if the string slipping on the first shot means there is a mechanical issue and since I cannot find the receipt, it'd be safer to just look for a new bow. No one got hurt the first time around, but I can do without another arrow exploding in my face.

Thank you for your time,
    -Jeremy

Edit for some additional information:

1) Make was Martin, model was Trophy Hunter. I don't know the exact trophy hunter model or how long it had been on the store floor (purchased from Dick's Sporting Goods in Champaign, IL). Bow No. is 0816841
    2) This was a 55#-70# model, I lowered it to 55# as per the manual instructions (my father has a bad elbow).
    Last edited by JStymie; 04-15-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

As long as there is no significant structural damage to the bow, getting a new string or the existing string back on the bow is fairly simple. If you have access to a press, it is really easy - should you not, this is the beauty of the Martin bows, back out the limbs top and bottom equal turns each 2-3 and look at the limb bolt in the barrel nut. You can back them off until you are able to see light in nut and the bolt about half-way through it. This will take enough tension off the limbs that will allow you to get it strung.

According to the bow number it is a 2008 model. If you are concerned about structural problems with the bow, we always recommend taking it to a local dealer that knows what they are doing to have them give it a look over and if need call Joel in the CS/Warranty dept should it need new parts.

There are a number of things that can cause the string to jump. Hand torque is 99% the culprit, but there could be something with the bow if there was severe cam lean for example.

Others will jump in and add to/correct what I have mentioned.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Good post above. I won't add anything to how to contact Martin, but would add that as droppixel says 99" of the time bows derail because it is torqued by gripping the bow too tightly. By any chance are you shooting it with fingers or using a mechanical release? Fingers and these short bows don't mix well. It's too easy to twist the string when drawing an this can cause a derailment, too. I'd also recommend taking the bow to an archery shop and have it looked at. Any decent bow technician should be able to see if there is a mechanical problem with the bow. It doesn't necessarily have to be a Martin dealer as all compound bows are mechanically similar.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks!

Thank you for the replies -- and yes, I was shooting the bow with fingers. I've never used a mechanical release, so I'll have to do some research on that. Any and all information is appreciated.

Regards,
    -Jeremy