Thread: 2012 Silencer tuning problems

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2012 Silencer tuning problems

I just can't get the fishtail out. I got a micro adjustable NAP Apache rest and I have adjusted centershot in 1/32 increments back and forth a dozen times or more and I get it to where it hits where the sight is aiming but the fishtail never goes away. I don't care whether the arrow hits where I want or not when the thing is fishtailing so bad I can see the shaft broadside before it hits. A bare shaft is horrible! On a bare shaft it literally flies sideways right before it hits. It looks like a guided missle from an F16 just sidewinding all over the sky. I think my arrows are underspined but it doesn't make sense. I have tried 75 gr 100 gr and 125 gr field points to no avail and my expandable blade broadheads which are used and I know fly like my field tips in other bows fly way left and low. These same arrows are used in my 1997 Martin pulling same draw weight and draw length and they fly straight as an arrow so how can they be underspined? I tried to call and talk to Joel today but he never returned my call.

Specs and bows:
    1997 Martin Speed Demon with Z cams 28" draw and 63 lbs draw weight
    2012 Silencer Nitrous cams 28" draw and 60 lbs draw weight
    Same arrows for both Goldtip 5575 cut to 29" using NAP Twister vanes fletched at a 2-3 degree offset
    75,100, 125 gr tips

Could I be underspined due to the faster more modern bow transferring more energy? Both bows have 7" brace heights

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Fishtailing
    Fishtailing relates to the arrow rest adjustment and the stiffness of your
    arrow. Just as before, start at about ten to fifteen yards and shoot three fletched arrows into
    your target. Using the same aiming point, follow them up with a bare shaft. After you get
    the shafts to impact with the fletched shafts, you may want to try shooting them at a longer
    distance for a finer indication of arrow flight.

If your unfletched shafts impact to the left of your fletched shafts, your arrow is too stiff.
    There are two things that you can do to correct this problem; you can select a weaker
    arrow, or you can decrease the cushion plunger tension. Increasing the peak weight of
    your bow or increasing your point weight will also make your arrow act a bit more limber.
    If your unfletched shafts impact to the right of your fletched shafts, your arrow is too limber.
    There are two methods you can try that will correct this problem; you can select a stiffer
    arrow, or you can increase the cushion plunger tension. Decreasing the peak weight of your
    bow or decreasing your point weight will also make your arrow act a bit more stiff.
    To further fine tune your setup, step back to twenty or thirty yards and repeat
    the above procedures. Small flight disturbances will show up better as you get
    farther from the target. Your Martin bow is essentially tuned when your bare shafts hit
    together with your fletched shafts. Keep in mind that if you continue and complete the super
    fine tuning methods in this manual, it is not uncommon for your bare shaft impact to change.
    Even with your bow shooting its best, it is common for a perfectly tuned bow to shoot a bare
    shaft a bit low and right or low and left. Perfect arrow groups are the goal when completing
    these exercises.
    Stiff Arrow.
    Bare shafts fly to left.
    Limber Arrow
    Bare shafts fly to right.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

have you run your arrow thru paper at differant feet and yards sometimes it an optical illusion start with paper tune just to see
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

I was told these arrows are at the low end for this weight. I mean they are borderline too light. And my bareshafts always hit left of my fletched shafts. So how can an arrow that is almost underspined be too stiff? I would think too stiff would be too heavy a spine.

Post Thanks / Like

I got this from goldtips page:

1. For compound bows with IBO speed rating between 290-315 FPS shot with a release aid, use the selection chart as specified.

2. For compound bows with IBO speed rating between 315-350 FPS shot with a release aid, choose at least one box to the stiffer side (to the right) for your recommended arrow. Example : If your draw weight is 72 Ibs and your arrow length is 29", select a shaft from group number five.

3. For compound bows with IBO speed rating under 290FPS shot with a release aid, choose at least one box to the weaker side (to the left) for your recommended arrow. Example : If your draw weight is 63 Ibs and your arrow length is 27", select a shaft from group number 2 or 3.

5575 is right on the line and 7595 is the next step up. I have a feeling due to the severe speed of this bow compared to my old one that I need a stiffer arrow. I bet the 5575 I shoot currently is not spined stiff enough for a 60 lb speed bow. Any body think I am right?

Post Thanks / Like

Weight of the arrow and spine of the arrow are two different things.
    Either turn your bow down to 50# or get some 7595's and your problem should go away.

And yes - the old bow with the Z cams is not the same as the new bow with the Nitro cams.

Post Thanks / Like

I may be way off base here, not nearly as knowledgeable as most on here. I was having similar issues with fishtailing with my Firecat 360 but it was not constant and only with some arrows. Some arrows fishtailed right before impacting the target. After about 30 minutes of total frustration and a few "time outs" I seen the problem. Some of the fletchings were making contact with the cables and some wern't. I was shooting everything with cock vane up. A simple twist of the nock cured my issues and all of them fly the same now.
    I noticed it while testing 4 different arrows.

Gold Tip 5575 feather fletched, 415 gr
    PSE Bow Madness 300 with 3" fusion vanes, 421 gr
    Carbon Express Mutiny 350 blazer vane. 418 gr
    Easton Axix nano 340 blazer vane, 425 gr

The Gold tips were the worst and only 3 of the 6 fishtailed. The PSE & Eastons all flew straight & true. The carbon Express were hit and miss.
    My set up is: Firecat 360 @ 66 lbs, 30" draw- 29.5" arrow, Ripcord rest, Tru Ball Pro Diamond Release.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel