Thread: Another rest Q ..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another rest Q ..

well for you guys with ripcords, qad , etc drop aways, it appears that these rests project rearward from the riser into the "brace height "/ cable slide area . Do you still have room between the launcher prongs and nock point for 5" fletching when it is in the upright and ready to shoot position ? there is 7.2" of braceheight available.
    It wouldnt be very good to have feathers rubbing out of the launcher prongs upon draw from the ready to shoot (upright) position. The revolution rest apparently wont work with them either, due to the rear part of the containment arm holding the arrow in the flectched portion of the arrow.
    if you got a tape measure maybe a simple measurement from the string to the upright prongs, may help me detemine it.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a RipCord Code Red on my new Scepter. It was on my Alien Z. The short answer is that you won't have room for 5" feathers. In fact, with my Z at 6.5" brace even 4" feathers rode the launcher about a half inch.

Hope this answers your question.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

did you still shoot it with that 1/2" overlap on the 4" ones or did you just go shorter fletching? i presume if only the flattest , foremost part of the fletching rides on the launcher at ready position that wouldnt be much of a problem? I can see if a lot of the quills get bristled back on draw that wouldnt work due to noise,friction etc. will a qad ride a little closer to the bow riser ?

Post Thanks / Like

anybody try it with a QAD? i see the hunter model has its vertical height adjustment on a angle in the mounting bracket so im thinking that , coupled with the lateral movement in the mounting bracket may help the rest slide closer to the riser and provide just enuff clearance. i called them and they "think" it might but they werent too convincing.

Post Thanks / Like

This is my 360 with 7 1/4" brace, Ripcord, and 4" feathered Gold tips.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z

Post Thanks / Like

oooo good , that looks promising.. thanks thats a great pic.. is that as far forward as the ripcord will go? i think sliding the fletch a 1/2 " closer to the nock and the 1/2" that looks visible between your fletch and containment forks may work for me. ill see what bfisher or hutch thinks and we may have a green light for a drop away in my (near) future. i scaled your feather with a tape and the pic makes it look like it scales to 1.75" / 4" =.4375 representing 1" to scale . 1.75" + .4375 = 2.1875 ( for a 5" fletch) and your bow shows 2 5/16" which = 2.3125 between the nock and the containment fork. so that should leave maybe a 1/4" of shaft between the nock and fletching, with the tip of the fletching right at the containment prong.
    can a guy fletch his arrows within a 1/4" of the nock? if so i think we have it figured out.
    Last edited by madman350; 04-17-2012 at 06:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by madman350 View Post
    did you still shoot it with that 1/2" overlap on the 4" ones or did you just go shorter fletching? i presume if only the flattest , foremost part of the fletching rides on the launcher at ready position that wouldnt be much of a problem? I can see if a lot of the quills get bristled back on draw that wouldnt work due to noise,friction etc. will a qad ride a little closer to the bow riser ?
    I never gave it much thought but my fletching is applied 1 1/2" ahead of the nock groove or just a little over an inch from the end of the carbon. Reason is that I don't want the fletching (feathers) touchng any part of my face at full draw. And yes, I did shoot those 4" feathers even though they overlapped the rest a bit. It didn't ruffle them too bad. It may have created some noise when starting the draw but this is a target setup and I'm about half deaf anyway so it doesn't matter.

And yes, I do shoot 2" fletching 90% of the time so it's not an issue.

I would also like to add that the rest was mounted similar to Nutty's picture above. About as close to the bow as it can be. What I really need to do is get a battery for my camera and post pics. I hionestly don't know what Hutch and the rest of the crew aren't busting my chops about mandatory pictures. LOL.

I feel you're still going to have problems with 5" fletching. but if you have a good shop around they may bolt one on your bow just to see.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver