Thread: DIY target help

Post Thanks / Like

Default DIY target help

I asked the maintenance guy from my work for a couple old buffing pads for target faces, he gave me 3/4 of a large trash bag full of them. I was wondering if I could make a target out of them? I was thinking of stacking the pads, filling the hole in the center with rags, plywood top and bottom, and pulling it all together with threaded rod. Another thought was to cut the pads up and use them for stuffing in a bag type target. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated
    2011 silencer
    2008 trophy hunter

Post Thanks / Like

They are not going to be too abrasive and ruin the arrows are they? You could try duct taping a few together and put them in front of another target to see how well they stop the arrows.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

Just do it and let us see the results, nothing beats a try but a failure!
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Post Thanks / Like

I tried and it was a failure. The arrows blew thru like a hot knife in butter.
    2011 silencer
    2008 trophy hunter

Post Thanks / Like

That idea of a couple 2x8's and threaded rod isn't a bad one. The difference is to use carboard instead. I made one like this many years ago. Took large carboard boxes and cut the carboard on 12" wide strips. Then layered them and pulled it all together with 1/2" threaded rod. The end result was a 4'x4' target backstop that was almost as hard as a piece of wood. I could put multiple target faces on it and move them around. When ever it started getting soft spots from repeated shooting I just loosened the rods and moved the sheets of cardboard around.

Mounted the thing on wheels and could roll it in and out of the driveway or where ever I wanted. I think it lasted me almost 10 years. Not good for broadheads though. Total cost involved the threaded rod, washers and nut, 4 wheels snd axles (look for an old kid's wagon).

Now where would you get enough boxes? Try the dumpsters behind stores in a mall. Ask at any of the stores such as Bass Pro, Gander Mt, or other dept. stores. You'd be amazed at how many of them they tear down and band together.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I have a good friend who owns a package store and ice cream shop (they are next to each other not one in the same unit) I'm sure he can help me out with card board. thanks BFisher you always come thru.
    2011 silencer
    2008 trophy hunter

Post Thanks / Like

I had an old bag target that would pull my inserts out when I removed my arrows. The face of the bag was still useable so I restuffed it with some carpet padding, will do some testing later.
    2011 silencer
    2008 trophy hunter

Post Thanks / Like

This isn't a total DIY but a friend of mine bought one of these sacks and it is very very tough.
    I'm going to pick one up and stuff it for a camp target.

http://thirdhandarchery.com/product.asp?PRODID=9