Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cable Slides?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cable Slides?

I was looking at the Saunders Hyper Glide and was wondering if anyone had any input on them? Years ago I used their roller cage and it worked well.....it was just really big.
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

They are great, son had one and I used it on my bow. When I sold my bow I had to sell it with it. Wish I didn't, but its too late now.

Hutch
    Last edited by Hutch~n~Son Archery; 04-24-2012 at 07:54 PM.
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Great slide, very quiet and smooth.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Post Thanks / Like

one of the first things I bought for my Bengal. Have one on my Cheetah and love it.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

It's definitely a great slide.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered a teflon slide for my Onza 3 but I haven't got it yet. On tuesday I was shooting at our 3D course and it was a bit rainy. Once again I noticed that a simple plastic slide just doesn't work reliably with a drop-away rest (QAD Ultrarest HD). Because of wet conditions, the slide wouldn't come all the way back, but remain slighly more front (it gets stuck to the rod a bit). You wouldn't know otherwise, but the alignment marks in the rest show this clearly (the cord of the rest is attached to the downward cable, not to the cable slide). When the bow was dry again (indoors), the rest marks aligned in full draw again.

I will go beaver hunting this weekend, so I finally decided to take the teflon slide from my old bow and put it to the Onza for now. That should fix the problem.

My opinion: Martin should not ship bows with such a poor quality slides (this one: http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...BP51/189.0.1.1). Instead, they should always use the teflon slide like this: http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...BP50/189.0.1.1 .

It's funny, the plastic slide costs a bit more than teflon one in Martin's web store And they still choose to install the plastic one to bows. Well, they seem to use the teflon one sometimes, I wonder why not always.

But I must say the Saunders solution is interesting.
    Last edited by Phantonza; 04-26-2012 at 04:20 AM.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what the material is of the ones coming on the 2012, but the white slide on the Bengal seems to move pretty well. Looked like the edges might be a little rough, but it has already been replaced with a Saunders. One of the first things I put on it when I got it out of the box

Any bow I ever own that is rod/slide will have one of those on it.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    Not sure what the material is of the ones coming on the 2012, but the white slide on the Bengal seems to move pretty well. Looked like the edges might be a little rough, but it has already been replaced with a Saunders. One of the first things I put on it when I got it out of the box

Any bow I ever own that is rod/slide will have one of those on it.
    My Onza will have one this weekend............cant wait to try it out!
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

right on, let us know how you like it!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantonza View Post
    I ordered a teflon slide for my Onza 3 but I haven't got it yet. On tuesday I was shooting at our 3D course and it was a bit rainy. Once again I noticed that a simple plastic slide just doesn't work reliably with a drop-away rest (QAD Ultrarest HD). Because of wet conditions, the slide wouldn't come all the way back, but remain slighly more front (it gets stuck to the rod a bit). You wouldn't know otherwise, but the alignment marks in the rest show this clearly (the cord of the rest is attached to the downward cable, not to the cable slide). When the bow was dry again (indoors), the rest marks aligned in full draw again.

I will go beaver hunting this weekend, so I finally decided to take the teflon slide from my old bow and put it to the Onza for now. That should fix the problem.
    The teflon slide from my old bow DID NOT fix the problem which was somewhat a surprise to me. I had a 3D competition this weekend and the weather was going to be cold and rainy. I did not want to fight with the arrow rest trouble again. I made two changes to my setup (that I didn't even have a chance to test in rainy conditions before the competition):

- I used a Hoyt cable slide (made of black plastic, not teflon. The plastic feels harder than the original Martin slide, though.)
    - I lubricated the cable guard rod with silicone spray

Result: no problems whatsoever, even though the weather was the worst possible!

I know that some people think you should not lubricate the cable guard. I think I may wery well continue doing so, as it seems to be the only way to make things work with QAD Ultrarest HD drop-away rest in cold/rainy weather. Or, I will change the rest back to the idiot-proof Whisker Biscuit

Unfortunately, I cannot be sure which one was the reason of fixing the problem: the Hoyt slide or the lubricant. My guess is the lubricant...
    Last edited by Phantonza; 05-07-2012 at 02:25 AM.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003