Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting for fun

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shooting for fun

I have to say I never thought I'd enjoy shooting a recurve this much. I've had my Diablo TD what, maybe 3 weeks now? I just shot number 2000 through it this evening. 400 shots in the last two days. And 30# limbs just allows me to shoot as long as I prefer.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Sonny Thomas

Default Shooting for fun

Great, Barry! Some of the best fun I've ever had was shooting with a recurve.

When as a youngster...more years back than I want think about...I had a Fred Bear 60" recurve, 40 poounds. Nothing was safe Tin cans, hay bales, squirrels, rabbits, fish, ducks (yep, me tried that) and of course, deer.

Alas, I sold my last two recurves a couple years back, both Shakespears, target models, one 66" and one 72". Should have never sold them.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep - still string mine up and shoot it just for fun.
    Nice break from the compounds and sometimes is all it takes to shut down the dreaded TP when it rears its ugly head.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    Yep - still string mine up and shoot it just for fun.
    Nice break from the compounds and sometimes is all it takes to shut down the dreaded TP when it rears its ugly head.
    Good mention about TP. I've had a mild case of freezing for almost as long as I can remember. With the recurve and shooting pure instinctive it's not a problem. I've learned to point the bow draw to anchor, concentrate on the bullseye and let er rip. If I take too much time to think I pluck the string or miss, usually dropping low. I also am smart enough, or should I say experienced, to limit distance to 25 yards where I can manage about 6-7" groups. At 30 yards things get pretty iffy and at 40 almost embarrassing, but then it's hard to be embarrassed when it's just for fun.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a recure (yet), but my daughter does have a Mathews Genesis that is a hoot to shoot. For those of you that don't know, it is a compound built primarily for kids. There is no set draw length, so anyone can pick it up and shoot. I have it set up with a single pin and a nock loop for my daughter, but I can pick it up and shoot it instinctively with fingers and just have fun with it. I like to take turns with her or my neices/nephews when they try it and just have fun at 15-20 yards.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Default What string?

I have had a bad time keeping strings. My bow is idle now as a wait for a new string. I wrote about it in Diablo 2013 thread.
    What string are you using?

Sonny Thomas

Default Shooting for fun

Soon as I get gooder I'll show you how it's done.... Shouldn't take long....

8. Likes NuttyNative liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stevtech View Post
    I have had a bad time keeping strings. My bow is idle now as a wait for a new string. I wrote about it in Diablo 2013 thread.
    What string are you using?
    I'm using the stock Dacron string. I have rad a lot of posts about serving separation and such, but I haven't had that issue. I did have to add 30 twists to it to get the brace height correct and over the next week it stretched enough I had to add another 15 twists and the brace dropped from 7" to 6 1/2". I've had the bow approximately 3 1/2 weeks and, seriously, I've put something over 2000 shots through it. I just checked the brace yesterday and it seems to be holding.

I will also mention that I have always done my own bow repairs so have serving and jigs so if I should notice any problems with it I'll just reserve it. I might move up the ladder a bit with a fastflight string (D97?) when I feel a replacement need. The limb tips are reinforced, but don't feel a need to try to damage the limbs. As I've posted, the bow is just for fun, and I'm having a lot of that.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    Soon as I get gooder I'll show you how it's done.... Shouldn't take long....
    LOL That's funny right there! Good shooting Sonny!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Same here Barry, having tons of fun shooting my recurves after a 30 year break, feel like a kid again. Looks like my compounds will be sitting in the corner.

I upgraded to D-97 strings on my X-200 and Hunter and really like the difference, quieter and a bit more speed. You shouldn't have to worry about limb damage with reinforced tips.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba