Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Help picking some new arrows

Post Thanks / Like

Beman ICS Hunters,,,,, Made in thje USA!
    A little common sense goes a long way, unfortunately it's in short supply!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a question for you Washington guys. I know laws are laws, but how many of you guys have had a game warden actually weigh your arrows while out in the field? Do they really do this?

OK, here's a suggestion for the OP. GT has a feature on their website called "build your own arrow". I just worked it using a Ultralite 22 series shaft, 29" long, standard nock, 3" feathers, lite insert, and 100gr point. Total arrow weight of 350.2 gr and 14.34 foc.

This has a static spine of 300 which would be stiff, but for some reason these shafts adapt very well to almost any reasonable draw weight I've ever used, that being 42# to 63# at a shorter 27" length. If you feel they area little light in weight you could use Blazer vanes to boost the weight and still have adequate FOC for 60#. Maybe stay at 64# and just add the 125 gr points.

Working this one up the total weight with 15gr tips and Blazers works out to 385 gr with an foc of 12.5%. Right at the minimum for 64# to maximize speed with good pentration possibilities.

IMO either would be a near perfect arrow choice for hunting anything your lil ole heart desires.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I shoot GT XT hunters and no complaints,also had a dozen Cabelas Carbon Extreme Stalker with blazer's for shooting in the yard,and would not hesitate to throw a broadhead on and take hunting.
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

I have shot many arrows and depending on LBs and draw. Go to carbon arrow university and look at this site, it should help you. Myself I shoot a 29í Easton Axis 340 that is 9.5g per inch and total weight is 420g with a 100g Slick Trick Mag. I have harvested over ten elk and canít count the deer with this set up. 420g has a punch and the Slick Trick is deadly. The Eastonís are End-Fussed and I get a great flight with the AAE Max Hunters with a right twist. I spent many hours shooting arrows and set-upís and it all falls down to what feels and shoots good for you. Price is also an issue as the Axis wonít break the bank and I would consider than a little above mid range on price. Easton made in the USA.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I have a question for you Washington guys. I know laws are laws, but how many of you guys have had a game warden actually weigh your arrows while out in the field? Do they really do this?

OK, here's a suggestion for the OP. GT has a feature on their website called "build your own arrow". I just worked it using a Ultralite 22 series shaft, 29" long, standard nock, 3" feathers, lite insert, and 100gr point. Total arrow weight of 350.2 gr and 14.34 foc.

This has a static spine of 300 which would be stiff, but for some reason these shafts adapt very well to almost any reasonable draw weight I've ever used, that being 42# to 63# at a shorter 27" length. If you feel they area little light in weight you could use Blazer vanes to boost the weight and still have adequate FOC for 60#. Maybe stay at 64# and just add the 125 gr points.

Working this one up the total weight with 15gr tips and Blazers works out to 385 gr with an foc of 12.5%. Right at the minimum for 64# to maximize speed with good pentration possibilities.

IMO either would be a near perfect arrow choice for hunting anything your lil ole heart desires.
    Never seen it frist hand but have heard from a few friends that near rainer they do check the wt. I feel its hunting not target so the wt is a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Same as jnordwell above....I've never seen it personally, but I've heard of fish and wildlife wardens doing spot checks in the field for arrow weight.
    -2011 Martin Silencer 63# 29.5", Limbsaver prism elite .029 sight, Alpine Whisperflite drop away rest, Alpine 5 arrow quiver, G5 1/4" Meta Peep, Carbon Express 8" stabilizer, Gold Tip Warrior and Expedition Hunter (385gr), G5 Montec
    -2011 Martin Silencer, 73# 29.5", Limbsaver prism elite .019 sight, QAD Ultra Rest Pro LD, Tight Spot 5 arrow quiver, 1/4" G5 Meta peep, Carbon Express 8" stabilizer, Gold Tip Expedition Hunter 7595 camo (441gr), G5 Montec BH.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mudpig View Post
    Same as jnordwell above....I've never seen it personally, but I've heard of fish and wildlife wardens doing spot checks in the field for arrow weight.
    This is seriously just crazy talk. I would freak out if IL pulled something like that, while they probably already have and I'm just ignorant to it because it is that silly.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

yep, I've never seen it. I've asked the same question before, and seen it asked on other forums. Everyone says "I know a guy..." My arrows are actually below legal weight, by a little. IDK how picky they actually are. I always figured that kinetic energy would be a better measure of a bow's ability to bring down game, but maybe that's just me.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

This is the reg's for Colorado:

4. HAND-HELD BOWS
    A long bow, recurve bow or compound bow on which the string is not drawn mechanically or held mechanically under tension. String or mechanical releases are legal if they are hand-drawn or hand-held with no other attachments or connections to bow (except bowstring).a. Hand-held bows, including compound bows, must use arrows with a broadhead having a minimum 7/8-inch outside diameter or width and minimum two steel cutting edges. Each cutting edge must be in same plane for entire length of cutting surface.b. Only legal, hand-held bows allowed during archery seasons.c. Minimum draw weight of 35 pounds required. Let-off maximum of 80 percent.d. No part of bow’s riser (handle) or track, trough, channel, arrow rest or other device (excluding cables and bowstring) that attaches to riser can contact, support and/or guide the arrow from a point rearward of the bow’s brace height behind the undrawn string.e. Bows can propel only a single arrow at a time. No mechanisms for automatically loading arrows allowed.f. Scopes, electronic or battery-powered devices cannot be incorporated in to or attached to bow or arrow.g. Hydraulic or pneumatic technology cannot be used to drive or store
    energy to propel arrows. Explosive arrows prohibited.
    Last edited by Spiker; 04-30-2012 at 11:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Washington State Archery Regs

WAC 232-12-054 Archery requirements--Archery special use
    permits. (1) Rules pertaining to all archery hunting seasons:
    (a) It is unlawful for any person to carry or have in his
    possession any firearm while in the field archery hunting, during
    an archery season specified for that area, except for modern
    handguns carried for personal protection. Modern handguns cannot
    be used to hunt big game or dispatch wounded big game during an
    archery, big game hunting season.
    (b) It is unlawful to have any electrical equipment or
    electric device(s) attached to the bow or arrow while hunting
    except for illuminated nocks.
    (c) It is unlawful to shoot a bow and arrow from a vehicle or
    from, across, or along the maintained portion of a public highway,
    except that persons with a disabled hunter permit may shoot from a
    vehicle if the hunter is in compliance with WAC 232-12-828.
    (d) It is unlawful to use any device secured to or supported
    by the bow for the purpose of maintaining the bow at full draw or
    in a firing position, except that persons with an archery special
    use permit may hunt game birds or game animals using a device that
    stabilizes and holds a long bow, recurve bow, or compound bow at a
    full draw, and may use a mechanical or electrical release.
    (e) It is unlawful to hunt wildlife with a crossbow during an
    archery season. However, disabled hunter permittees in possession
    of a crossbow special use permit may hunt with a crossbow in any
    season that allows archery equipment.
    (f) It is unlawful to hunt big game animals with any arrow or
    bolt that does not have a sharp broadhead, and the broadhead blade
    or blades are less than seven-eighths inch wide.
    (g) It is unlawful to hunt big game animals with a broadhead
    blade unless the broadhead is unbarbed and completely closed at the
    back end of the blade or blades by a smooth, unbroken surface
    starting at maximum blade width and forming a smooth line toward
    the feather end of the shaft, and such line does not angle toward
    the point.
    (h) It is unlawful to hunt big game animals with a retractable
    broadhead.
    (i) It is unlawful to hunt wildlife with any bow ((or
    crossbow)) equipped with a scope. However, hunters with
    disabilities who meet the definition of being visually impaired in
    WAC 232-12-828 may receive a special use permit that would allow
    the use of scopes or other visual aids. A disabled hunter permit
    holder in possession of a special use permit that allows the use of
    a scope or visual aid may hunt game birds or game animals during
    archery seasons.
    [ 2 ] OTS-4569.1
    (2) Rules pertaining to long bow, recurve bow and compound bow
    archery:
    (a) It is unlawful for any person to hunt big game animals
    with a bow that does not produce a minimum of 40 pounds of pull
    measured at twenty-eight inches or less draw length.
    (b) It is unlawful to hunt big game animals with any arrow
    measuring less than 20 inches in length or weighing less than 6
    grains per pound of draw weight with a minimum arrow weight of 300
    grains.
    -2011 Martin Silencer 63# 29.5", Limbsaver prism elite .029 sight, Alpine Whisperflite drop away rest, Alpine 5 arrow quiver, G5 1/4" Meta Peep, Carbon Express 8" stabilizer, Gold Tip Warrior and Expedition Hunter (385gr), G5 Montec
    -2011 Martin Silencer, 73# 29.5", Limbsaver prism elite .019 sight, QAD Ultra Rest Pro LD, Tight Spot 5 arrow quiver, 1/4" G5 Meta peep, Carbon Express 8" stabilizer, Gold Tip Expedition Hunter 7595 camo (441gr), G5 Montec BH.