Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 the year of making do$

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2012 the year of making do$

Being on a fixed income I am really scrutinizing any new purchases for this upcoming hunting season. Maybe some of you are doing the same. The biggest cost for me now is gas as my hunitng grounds are all 50-100 miles away. Scouting trips will be cut in half and not alot of half day trips anymore, I'll have to utilize my time and resources to the max. I've got enough arrows an broadheads to last my lifetime but that new Bengal or Pantera just begs to be bought. 2 older trailcams and and other years old stuff will be put to the test again. Looks like I'll have to sell a firearm or 2 to finance that new bow, and some new tires for the Heap (jeep).

Post Thanks / Like

As long as you have your health you can make it work
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

Over the year I tend to hunt with the same set up year after year. I have never been one that can afford a new rig each season. I dont get to take scouting trips due to deer camp is 270 miles form home. I feel your pain, but then again, that is just normal for me. Good luck.
    "When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." -Fred Bear

2012 Martin Cougar FC, Fury XT cam
    CE PileDriver arrow, 535 grains
    Speed: unknown

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya, we were going to try to put in time for both deer and elk, but the money ain't there. Also our deercamp is a 5 hour drive from us, so not much scouting will get done either. Luckily I'm all set for equipment. I'd like to get a nice hand held GPS since some of the grounds we hunt on, a compass goes nuts from all the iron ore, but I think that'll wait till next year as well...
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Health, ah to be under 40 again, or 50, or 60.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeep= Just Empty Every Pocket
    Martin x-200 unsure of year
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum
    2014 Mathews ChillR (on order)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the Heap has cost me some $ but it's been paid for and will go anywhere I want to get, 2000 Cherokee. I actually slide the seats forward and am able to sleep in the back quite comfortably. And to replace it is not economically feasible. To think for years I hunted out of a 1964 Dodge car and still killed game.

Post Thanks / Like

Bub, check your PM's.

Barry
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

i was in the same boat but since i no longer have a bow i guess i dont have to think about hunting no more.my deer and elk hunts started in aug and like you(besides a new bow) the equipment was not the cost i was thinking about.it was fuel,food,time,ice,watter,and everything else that made a hunt hard to do,so i saved up 2o-30 a month along with taking in cans i got from frieds and family to get the rest. and over the span of the year i was able to save around 700-800 for a 10 day trip.money is very tight.we have a month to month plan for our cash.first pay all the bills,then what ever is left over we split by 2 and devide by how many days are in the month. and that is what we have for food,fuel and kids.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI any body that wanted to add to there income scrap metal is at a all time high right now,here in Oklahoma and likely everywhere else...Take a few scrap cars in, boom, instant hunting budget.