Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammer Head Bow Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hammer Head Bow Strings

I am wondering if anyone knows if Martin makes custom bow strings for other brands than Martin? I have a Quest Primal I am going to need new strings for soon. I would love to get a new set of their Hammer Head strings for a Quest, that would be cool! Thanks for any info you can offer.

Brian

Martin Magnum Cougar III

Arrow Shooting, Deer Destroyer

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt that they'd make custom string lengths. A better option would be to contact Hutch here on this site and order from him. It'd be a little cheaper and with at least equal quality. Check his ad in the classifieds.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely get a set from one of the builders. I'm not 100% sold on the Hammerheads just yet. They are nice, but I'm a little iffy about the servings.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    Definitely get a set from one of the builders. I'm not 100% sold on the Hammerheads just yet. They are nice, but I'm a little iffy about the servings.
    X2 on that, Im gonna have to reserve the shooting string on my Pantera becuase of bad wear , where it goes over the idler wheel. Been shooting it since February.
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

+++ on what bfisher said. I just got a set from Hutch. They are made from the same material as the stock hammerhead strings (which mine have worn very well with thousands of shots thru them with very little wear) and you can get the Halo serving (a lot more durable) for a little extra money. The turnaround on the order was 3 days and the product was amazing!!!! Thanks Hutch
    -2011 Martin Silencer 63# 29.5", Limbsaver prism elite .029 sight, Alpine Whisperflite drop away rest, Alpine 5 arrow quiver, G5 1/4" Meta Peep, Carbon Express 8" stabilizer, Gold Tip Warrior and Expedition Hunter (385gr), G5 Montec
    -2011 Martin Silencer, 73# 29.5", Limbsaver prism elite .019 sight, QAD Ultra Rest Pro LD, Tight Spot 5 arrow quiver, 1/4" G5 Meta peep, Carbon Express 8" stabilizer, Gold Tip Expedition Hunter 7595 camo (441gr), G5 Montec BH.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, hutch makes some great strings....... i will be ordering a set for the az soon. My string is virtually brand new but his are just better.
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Ck on what Droppixel said. Not sold as yet on hammerheads. Hammerheads are not a bad string and cable for a new bow purchase, but I think you can get a better quality. I just replaced my FC 400 from Hutch and already have several hundred shots and no issues with peep rotation, string wear and or serving. And the best part is you can pick and chose on colors and halos. Once I got dialed in with a little to no fine tuning (paper tune/broad head tune) the set from hutch is dead on.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tosi View Post
    Ck on what Droppixel said. Not sold as yet on hammerheads. Hammerheads are not a bad string and cable for a new bow purchase, but I think you can get a better quality. I just replaced my FC 400 from Hutch and already have several hundred shots and no issues with peep rotation, string wear and or serving. And the best part is you can pick and chose on colors and halos. Once I got dialed in with a little to no fine tuning (paper tune/broad head tune) the set from hutch is dead on.
    I haven't had any twist or anything with mind, just seeing a little separation at the cable posts and just a touch of a friction/scratch whatever you want to call it on the serving where the module settles and a little over the top lobe of the cam. Nothing major, I like to buy custom sets anyway because I am a color nut (graphic designer/artist in me) and the Hammerheads are much better stock strings than in the past and will serve perfectly for a back-up/emergency set.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the biggest things with Hammerhead strings is the are built by machine. Which is a lot better then what they were a few years ago. That doesn't make them a bad string. It just puts them in the mass production mode. Which means some of them are going to be great strings and some might have some issues. The issues I have seen and heard are servings. Which a machine can not sense if it is tight enough or if it is too tight. Like I said this doesn't make it a bad string. The edge a custom string has is colors, servings, added extras and made one at a time.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I want to throw something in here. The Hammerhead strings may be mass produced, but are a darn fine string considering that. From what I've seen they have gotten better since last year. For you guys talking about premature serving wear? In most cases this is not a product of poor serving or the serving material. It's because of sharp edges on the cams and/or poor cam alignment (can lean) or module design. Martin would be doing themselves and their consumers a huge favor to change the machining of the cams and modules and put a radius on all the edges like the Nitrous cams had. I haven't had any issues with serving separation so can't say one way or the other on that. Let's just say that Martin strings are far and away better than what comes on most production bows.

That being said, Hey Hutch, do you have Trophy in Mountain Berry. I think I want Mt. Berry for my new Crimson Red Nemisis. I gotta figur out the other color to go with it. How about clear halo serving material.
    Last edited by bfisher; 05-02-2012 at 05:35 PM.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver