Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: string stops...for real or gimmick

Post Thanks / Like

Default string stops...for real or gimmick

There was a thread on archery talk about whether to remove string stops from a target bow and the replies were lots. Most people said string stops weren't as valuable as bow manufacturers made them sound and if you didn't have a brace height shorter than 7" they didn't do much. I had been wondering about installing/building a string stop for my older Martin which is getting dipped right now. Are they over rated? If you removed a string stop from a newer bow what difference would you notice shooting it if any?

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion string stops do alot for a bow. If you have a bow that has one on all you have to do is take it off then shoot, it will be pretty obvious what its there for. As for the guys on AT........Im sure most of the opinions were concerning target bows and noise. No it dosnt really matter if a target bow is loud, but a string stop does more than just quiet the bow, it helps to control vibration as well. I work with vibration every day , collecting vibration data and analyizing the data..........soft rubber string stops do an awsome job of eleminating all types of vibration. Like I said its JMO but I think they are a very important part of the bow.
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

shoot a bow with a string stop and you will never want to shoot one with out one again
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing that is not mentioned. They have helped in an accidental dry fire. Stopping the string from going totally forward. Doesn't always work that way but has for some.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

One other thing I think they help with. Gettng a consistent arrow release from the string. No two nocks are identical, and if one is fitting tighter than the others, I think a string stop helps to make a cleaner release. A tight nock will travel further forwards with the string before it releases, but having a stop will make that a shorter distance.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

So in redoing my older Martin bow, How hard would it be to fabricate a string stop for it and would it be worth it? Can I buy one that installs under my lower mount cable guard? Thats my dilema is my rear threaded hole is being used by my stock cable guard.
    Last edited by cmwr; 05-03-2012 at 08:19 PM.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We have been making them for years. Here is a thread that shows the latest one my son made.

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?23260-Home-made-string-stop!&highlight=string+stop

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'm calling it the real deal. When I got my Cheetah it didn't have one on it. I bought one of the Limbsaver ones and had to run the front mount, it made all the difference in the world when it comes to string twang. And that was huge for it being my hunting bow at the time ... and my only bow at that.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

The real deal for sure. Norway front mount sts is what you need. Not as clean looking as a rear mount but just as effective.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

So does that mean on my 2012 silencer, the little x shaped rubber pieces that are in the string and both cables technically are not needed since it has a string stop? I hear everyone say it eliminates the need for string silencers yet the bow still came with both.