Thread: sinking money on older bows

Post Thanks / Like

Default sinking money on older bows

Just as the title says. The bow I am getting dipped at hanover hydrographics right now is about 15 years old. It is a 1997 or maybe 1998 speed demon in my signature. By the time I get it done I may be a hundred or so short of the cost of a new bow. The only reason I decided to spend money on redoing this bow, besides the fact it is well balanced and shoots so dang well, is mainly cause it is all synthetic cables and as far as I know a machined aluminum riser. I figured if it was a cast riser or if it had steel cables I would never redo it. I am excited but I got to admit I am starting to wonder if I am a fool. As far as bows have come in technology in the last decade, I am starting to feel like I am throwing my money down the drain.

My question is how many of you have redone an older bow that still shoots well even though it is technically not worth it or not cost effective? Did you feel guilty after you did? My wife told me I am an impulse person and I don't stop to think about stuff before I rush out and do them. This may be the case this time.
    Martin Silencer,Nitrous cams, NAP Apache rest, Tru Glo sight
    Martin Speed Demon, Z Cams, NAP drop away rest, Extreme sight
    Gold Tip shafts, Twister vanes, NAP Shockwaves

Post Thanks / Like

I think there are a few different ways you can look at it. If it is a good shooter, then its just as good as the bows now days. If you think about it, they all do the same thing. Granted today's bows look a lot different. A good bow doesn't need to shoot 330+ fps to shoot good. If it is something that doesn't ever go bad and you like it, then go for it. The way I see it is, by the time you get a bow shooting spot on, why change it? A newer bow isn't gonna make you a better shooter. Only practice can do that. I would be proud of it. Enjoy it and have fun shooting.

Martin Magnum Cougar III

Arrow Shooting, Deer Destroyer

Post Thanks / Like

I get to be impulsive at times. Just yesterday I was at my local scuba shop (my other hobby) to book a trip to Fiji next February. While there I saw that they have a trip to Bonaire in January. Having been to Bonaire 10 times in the last 7 years I always like the place and enjoy helping younger, less experienced divers so I thought about booking that one, too, but had to clear it with the wife.

I got home and explained the situation with her and got the usually response, "I never saw a Brinks truck following a hearse." So I guess it's going to be two scuba trips with only three weeks between them. In other words, if it floats your boat and you get no repercussions from the spouse then why not.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I am happy to be doing it. It is a nice shooting bow. Sometimes I just second guess myself because I also hate to look at it as a bad investment so to speak. A fine firearm holds its value even a hundred years later. A bow is not worth anything on the market. I will enjoy it. It has passed through entirely too many whitetails to be worth throwing away. One thing I do wish, however, is that I could get that solid wall feeling with it that the newer ones have.
    Last edited by cmwr; 05-06-2012 at 03:09 PM.
    Martin Silencer,Nitrous cams, NAP Apache rest, Tru Glo sight
    Martin Speed Demon, Z Cams, NAP drop away rest, Extreme sight
    Gold Tip shafts, Twister vanes, NAP Shockwaves