Thread: Shooting with out a peep site....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shooting with out a peep site....

In a trade a while back I had a guy build me some Strings/cable ..He was in Canada some where ...Any who, I could not ever get the peep right ,it would twist right for a bit and bam be off again..I never had this trouble from Martin strings sure some adjustment but, once I got it it was good ...Well, This is my back up Turkey bow a 02 Martin Altitude..Great little bow ...I finally had one of those peeps with a tube put in ,However, I kept thinking it was going to pop me in the eye..LOL maybe that happen to me one time I can't remember ...

Then I seen a post on the A.T. that a guy just uses a small piece of white thread tied into the string where the peep use to be ..and that gives you a reference you can use each time you shoot ..you see it as a blur out of the corner of your eye .I make sure it is line up with the bottom of my site ever time and then I have a very clear site picture put pin on target then shoot.I shoot about as good this way and can get an arrow off faster ,I think..But I am..Not really , trying to talk anyone in to this just wondering if you guys have heard of this or do it....If so, how long and have you hunted with this kind of set up as I manly hunt...Thanks ,,

Post Thanks / Like

Thats what I used to do long ago before I went to using peeps.
    I just tied white dental floss around the string like a small tied-in nock set.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not a totally dumb idea. We're always open to suggestions. I have, on occasion, shot bows without a peep SIGHT, anddone well for hunting accuracy, but this is why I am a staunch believer in getting the bow's draw length just so-so for me--like down to the lat 1/16" or 1/8". If I do this I can rely strictly on my anchor and shoot about 3" groups at 30 yards.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the day, I used to hunt without a peep. I shot fingers with an old Jennings wheelie bow with the old flat bar 4 pin sight. And shot it well for what it was. Anchor points & sight picture are even more important when shooting this way. As Barry said 3" groups at 30 yds. is very obtainable. Oh yeah, it can be a lot of fun too!
    2011 Alien Z

Post Thanks / Like

I been having fun trying this ..It is that time of year to play with stuff as our turkey season just ended ..I was shooting a little while ago and did not do as good with low light as I thought ,I would .But, I am still working things out ...

Post Thanks / Like

IQ bowsight with Retnia Lock. I tried this and did ok out to 30 yards, beyond that the peep became neccessary for me. Have the IQ on both my bows and like it alot. One of them survived a 15' drop out of a treestand.

Post Thanks / Like

It works fairly well in good light but I had problems at dusk and dawn with it. Also the anchor point is tuff to keep consistent enough when a shot is extremely down angle and you are twisted around a tree.

Post Thanks / Like

Dugout ? have you tried to hunt with this kind of set up..? just wondering ,,as that is my main thing..I have ordered a new string ,,So, I think I can go back to a tubless peep site later in the year...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ftshooter View Post
    Dugout ? have you tried to hunt with this kind of set up..? just wondering ,,as that is my main thing..I have ordered a new string ,,So, I think I can go back to a tubless peep site later in the year...
    I took it up a tree and tried to shoot with it as the sun set into that magic time. Shooting down at different angles made the anchor point unreliable in this regard and I just plain lost the small serving I tried to replace the peep with. I gave up and did not actually "hunt" with it. Frankly, I was truly disappointed because it worked real well under range conditions. I feel the anchor point becomes critical with the peepless set up in the reduced light. I went back to a Fletcher peep. I am real picky about shot placement; real picky.
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I tried one of these type of sights several years ago and found the same thing. Sure when you come to anchor and something doesn't line up then there can only be two issues. Either you aren't anchored in the same position as when you set it up or you're torquing the bow. The sight doesn't magically tell you which. So what do you do to get things lined up? If your anchor isn't quite right and you don't know it then you grip and torque the bow to get things in line. Now you are definitely torquing the bow and that's not the best thing to do. They aren't full proof.

Honestly, it's just another distraction from anchoring and aiming. Kind of like looking for a level. Who in the world really needs to level their bow to make a 20-25 yard shot? I mean it's not like we're shooting them like a longbow or anything. A little bit of cant isn't going to throw the shot off more than an inch or two at most hunting distances. The other thing is that no matter whether an anchor sight (or similar) or a sight and peep you still have to line up two points in the sight radius.

As I mentioned earlier, if you do some tweaking to the bow's drawlength and practice enough your anchor should become almost automatic so as to maybe not even need a peep for short shots.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver