Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sudden 1 ft drop in arrow grouping

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default sudden 1 ft drop in arrow grouping

so i was sighting in my 2011 exile with my new victory vap arrows, they only shot a little lower than my easton axis arrows so this was going to be a quick tune. i starting shooting and adjusted my sight as needed and was getting closer and closer to being dead on. all of a sudden my bow shot a foot low. so i immediately thought well it must be my for or the arrow. I shot another and another and the group was tight but 1 ft low. I have am axel armotech sight and i was simply micro adjusting it so there is not it could have slipped,plus it has numbers on the rail and i know where it was. i looked over my bow, and i do have some string wear from when i used to have the trg, but its always been that way. i tried adjusting my sight to its maximum limit completely bottomed out and it still shoots in the same place, a foot low. i adjust my sight in both directs up and down, and it still shoots very low with little change 3-4 inches up or down. what could of happened to cause this. im going turkey hunting in kansas next week, and i need to get this issue resolved before i go.

Post Thanks / Like

have you checked you arrow flight by paper tuning? and have you tried shooting at different distances?
    2011 silencer
    2008 trophy hunter

Post Thanks / Like

I replaced my TRG/SOS on a 2011 ONZA and had to replace the string & cable due to stretching from the TRG system. This may not be your issue but when I replaced the Cable and String it was a huge difference in elevation. Recommend giving Hutch a PM and see if he can help ether with a recommendation and or possible a new set of custom string and cable. You may want to give Martin CS a call. Martin replaced my cable when I changed out my TRG and I use them as a back up.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

More detail would be nice, but if this happened all of a sudden then I'm betting that if you use a drop away rest then the cord slipped up on the cable and the rest isn't coming up all the way. You can check this by drawing and holding while somebody tries raising the rest manually. Another thing that has happened to me one time was that a limb bolt loosened up as I was shooting and the bow started shooting about 8" low at 20 yards so check this.

Could be your nocking point or loop moved up the string and or the peep slid down. It only takes about 1/8" difference to make the arrow move a foot at 20 yards. Although it's never happened to me before I recently had issues with the peep sliding down, as much as 3/8" although it was/is served above and below. Apparently since I installed it I have added some twists to the string and the twists are tighter above the peep now which forces it to slide down. This is why it is important to, once the bow is tuned, measure these things with some reference on the bow. I like to measure down to the peep and nocking point from the top axle. Then if something moved a quick check can indicate the problem without having to tear my hair out (what little is left).

OK, another possibility. Broken strands in the string or a cable, causing the nocking point to change and/or the rest to not raise up all the way. Good indicator of this would be if the peep suddenly started turning.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    More detail would be nice, but if this happened all of a sudden then I'm betting that if you use a drop away rest then the cord slipped up on the cable and the rest isn't coming up all the way. You can check this by drawing and holding while somebody tries raising the rest manually. Another thing that has happened to me one time was that a limb bolt loosened up as I was shooting and the bow started shooting about 8" low at 20 yards so check this.

Could be your nocking point or loop moved up the string and or the peep slid down. It only takes about 1/8" difference to make the arrow move a foot at 20 yards. Although it's never happened to me before I recently had issues with the peep sliding down, as much as 3/8" although it was/is served above and below. Apparently since I installed it I have added some twists to the string and the twists are tighter above the peep now which forces it to slide down. This is why it is important to, once the bow is tuned, measure these things with some reference on the bow. I like to measure down to the peep and nocking point from the top axle. Then if something moved a quick check can indicate the problem without having to tear my hair out (what little is left).

OK, another possibility. Broken strands in the string or a cable, causing the nocking point to change and/or the rest to not raise up all the way. Good indicator of this would be if the peep suddenly started turning.
    Yep, after my bow is set up, I record the ATA, BH, Nock height, and Peep height on a paper I keep in my bow tackle box. I also mark the string where my peep and nock loop sits with a sharpie so I have a quick reference point in case something seems off.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I'm betting that if you use a drop away rest then the cord slipped up on the cable and the rest isn't coming

Ive had this happen more than once with same results your having.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedykills View Post
    Ive had this happen more than once with same results your having.
    I had the same thing with my Apache last year, freaked me out and then I realized what it was.
    2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

All good answers I've been busy separating from the military so I haven't had time to look into it yet , thanks for the support

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dzsmith View Post
    All good answers I've been busy separating from the military so I haven't had time to look into it yet , thanks for the support
    No sir. THANKYOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!!!!!!
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    no sir. Thankyou for your support!!!!!!!!
    ^^^x2!!!!!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps