Thread: How do i know if my cams are out of tune?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do i know if my cams are out of tune?

I just got a brand new 2011 onza 3 and i love it, very accurate nice shooting bow. It does have some hand shock and some noise to it...which i thought was common. Some people say the cams may be out of tune, how would ik if they are?

Post Thanks / Like

As you near full draw, the cables should hit the flat part of the draw length modules at the exact same time, in the exact same place on both cams. You either need a draw machine, or someone to watch the modules as your draw back. A person can do it themselves, but it's not easy. If one cable is hitting a mod before the other cable hits its mod, then it's out of time. There are several threads on here and ArcheryTalk about it. Take a look at them.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Draw back the bow level. We you come to the end of the cycle make sure both the cables touch at the same time in the groove of the modules. If they don't touch at the same time. One or both cables have to be twisted or untwisted. This is to make sure both cams are rotating equal.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

If the cams are not synched properly your bow will probably be nosiy. With the proper synch --- whisper quiet!

Best of luck to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Default for what it is worth

Just FYI

I know everyone knows way more than me on these forums. So I will tell you how I do it.

1st note that the nocking point is NOT in the center of the string. Therefore from the nock to the top axle will always measure less than the distance from the nock to the bottom axle.

When at full draw my cables do not ever touch the modules. that is too much let off for me.

When at full draw my cable on the top cam is closer to the module than the bottom cam. Just barely. Like 1/32 of inch or so.

You can always look up the thread on Archery talk titled Martin Cat Cam Optimum Settings if you need more detail. All the new Martin cams (excluding 1 cams) in regards to this topic function the same as the CAT cam.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gstudt View Post
    Just FYI

I know everyone knows way more than me on these forums. So I will tell you how I do it.

1st note that the nocking point is NOT in the center of the string. Therefore from the nock to the top axle will always measure less than the distance from the nock to the bottom axle.

When at full draw my cables do not ever touch the modules. that is too much let off for me.

When at full draw my cable on the top cam is closer to the module than the bottom cam. Just barely. Like 1/32 of inch or so.

You can always look up the thread on Archery talk titled Martin Cat Cam Optimum Settings if you need more detail. All the new Martin cams (excluding 1 cams) in regards to this topic function the same as the CAT cam.
    For once I see somebody that has figured out that the nocking point is not in the center of the string nor should it be. I've measured my two Ryteras and the difference between top and bottom axles is roughly 2". Finally, somebody with a tape measure and some common sense! Kudo's to you.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Gary definitely knows his Martins. His thread on AT has really helped me get the most out of my bows.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.